starting strength gym

Thread: Vitamin supplementation and the shovel approach

Default Vitamin supplementation and the shovel approach

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark,

I just read the bit in PP where you discuss vitamin supplementation and the Bill Starr 'shovel approach'. However, while I no longer need to concern my self with overdosing, I still have budgetary constraints. How many times the recommended dosage would be a good rough target for a generic grocery store multi-vitamin?

Many thanks,

Drew

That depends on what's on sale. Grocery store multivitamins are not the best choice, because they're not really that cheap. Go to GNC and get the cheapest strong multivitamin they have there, and it will be a better deal for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That depends on what's on sale. Grocery store multivitamins are not the best choice, because they're not really that cheap. Go to GNC and get the cheapest strong multivitamin they have there, and it will be a better deal for the money.
    I got my vitamins at Sainsbury's (big British grocery chain) because they were cheapest (?2.50 for 90 generic one a day pills). I checked the health food stores first but they had nothing for less than ?19 a bottle which is to big for my student budget. I'll try and find a GNC and check there prices (they are hard to find in the UK but I think there is a least one here in London).

Anyhow, I'm taking double the recommended adult dose with these cheapo multivitamin and mineral pills. Let me know if you think this is dangerous or if I could bump it up a bit.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Forgive me if this is frowned upon, but I'd like to recommend Controlled Labs' "Orange Triad". It's an excellent multivitamin that includes glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM for joint support and a blend of herbs and other shit for digestive and immune support. My joints are noticeably less clicky (I'm a goddamn LSD victim!) and I haven't been ill since taking it, so I feel confident endorsing the product. As for their other supplements, they're too damn expensive for producing what appears to be nothing more than placebo, but you can get a 45 day supply of this item for ~$25 if you look for it on google product search.

I also used Optimum Nutrition's Opti-Men, but it lack the joint support that OT includes. Other than that, it also seems to be a solid vitamin, plus it's got stuff for "male support"

The Sainsbury's vitamins are fine, I suspect they are a version of what we call One-A-Day vitamins here. They have low levels of all the B-complex, usually 100% of the USRDA which is quite low. The only way they could be taken unsafely would be to coarsely grind them and and inject them into your heart.

starting strength coach development program
    The Sainsbury's vitamins are fine, I suspect they are a version of what we call One-A-Day vitamins here. They have low levels of all the B-complex, usually 100% of the USRDA which is quite low. The only way they could be taken unsafely would be to coarsely grind them and and inject them into your heart.
    Yes, the vitamins are exactly as you describe, and I'll make sure to freebase them before I inject in the interests of safety.

Cheers!