starting strength gym

Thread: Partial squats

Default Partial squats

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,

I know you're not big on squats that don't break parallel, but it occurs to me that they might have some value for certain things. The main benefit, just like for most partial-ROM movements, would be that greater weight can be used. You don't get strength over the full ROM, or the same systemic effects, but the movement used in, say, a quarter squat seems very much like that used when jumping, dipping for a push press or jerk, or many other athletic movements.

Lifting in this ROM with the highest weights possible would seem to yield certain athletic benefits beyond what full ROM squatting with lower weights would produce. Thoughts?

If lifting heavy weights for partials were of any benefit for sports, Gold's Gym would be fielding the majority of the 2008 Olympic team. They don't really help with jumping because they are so slow that the stretch reflex recruitment is different, and they are so hard on the knees that they get you hurt. The jerk is its own partial squat and doesn't need any back squat partial assistance work. If it wasn't so late I'd think of some more.

Joints aside, what say you then about partial "speed" squats? Same notion as a push press or jerk, but since you don't need to hit extension you can go heavier.

Or you could go with partial jump squats, which I've also seen...

I was reading in one of Pavel's books about a lifting technique that used partials as a buildup to full range of motion. You would use weight that you couldn't lift through full range of motion and do 3 - 5 reps at the ROM you could use it for. You would then increase the ROM until you got the full ROM.

THis would certianly be a techingue for an advanced lifter. Would this constitute a legitimate use of a partial motion, for any exercize, not just the squat?

I don't know about the Olympics, but I'm sure Gold's would clean up at a fashion show. Their gloves match their man-bags.

"a quarter squat seems very much like that used when jumping, dipping for a push press or jerk, or many other athletic movements."

What Mark said about them being too slow. Jerk drives, however, can be helpful for developing power in the "dip and drive" for jerking. I used to do them and it resulted in a pretty big PR in the jerk. I would load up around 110-150% of my max jerk, put the bar on my back like a squat, and basically drive the bar up to about head height, catch the bar on the back, rinse and repeat. It is done very explosively, just like the jerk.

Disclaimer: this is for healthy knees and experienced lifters. I was jerking about 130 kg at the time I was doing these(at about 175-pounds bdywt) so I could absorb the shock of the weight coming down. One guy in the gym likened it to preparing to get hit by a car. Otherwise, you could mess yourself up pretty good.

starting strength coach development program
    I actually used to do the increasing partials deal in the power rack, and it worked in a way, but it really hurt my hips and knees. And it would be, in my opinion, absolutely stupid for anyone except a competitive powerlifter, for whom Louie Simmons has thoughtfully provided safer and more productive training methods.