starting strength gym

Thread: 10 questions

Question 10 questions

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Mark! I have a few questions if you don't mind.

1) This has been killing me for a few days. I've seen some of your videos in youtube instructing people on how to overhead press. Most of them keep the wrists the same way during the whole repetitions, that is, not straight. I wonder if this isn't a problem in the future when pressing heavy weights. I try to grip the bar as close to the palm of the hand.

Why is it that you recommend keeping the wrists straight during the squat (where you demonstrate using a tape on the hands) and the bench press (which are not completely straight but definitely more straight than overhead press), but at the same time it's correct to keep the wrists bent during overhead press?

My only worry with this is a wrist injury when pressing heavy weights, but I feel weird straightening the wrists on my way up in overhead press. So I guess it's ok to keep them bent as long as the bar is on the palm and not toward the fingers?

2) Check out this crossfit video about air squats: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOdwETDQXCw

There's hardly any hip drive (ass up on the way up). I suppose they work less the hamstrings and are a different exercise than the back squat?

3) During a squat, what's the thin line between too much hip drive and a good morning? Would you prefer someone who rises his/her butt too much over someone who has no hip drive at all?

4) Can you recommend me any book on nutrition? I feel I know better than 99% of the instructors in my country after reading both Starting Strength and Practical Programming, but my nutrition knowledge is CERO. I am a skinny guy and want to get HUGE so I just have to eat like a lion, but not everyone is like me or have my same goals, so I find myself clueless when friends ask me about nutrition advice.

5) Is there something I should not eat in huge quantities. I heard you recommend milk. I'm a little intolerant but I can manage to drink up to a liter per day.

What about eggs? Is it ok to eat 5 eggs per day?

What juices would you recommend? I love orange juice.

6) Can someone who have been diagnosed with scoliosis do exercises such as squats and deadlifts? How much scoliosis is too much for these exercises? Should he ask his doctor first?

7) I have been doing your starting strength program for some time now and I still get super sore. Why do you think this is? I go Monday, Wednesday and Friday and I work out sore Wednesday and Friday, is it ok?

8) While lowering the bar during the deadlift, the bar goes a little forward when they reach the knees. Is it ok or should it go straight down? Should I wait until the bar reach my knees before flexing my legs?

9) Is it ok if I still have butt wink when going below paralell? I'm working on my flexibility and lumbar muscle contraction, but I'm worried if it may cause some injury when squating heavy weights.

10) Is it possible for an extremely flexible person to overarch their lower back during the squats loading the spine in the posterior side?

Phew, I'm sorry for all these questions.

If you don't have the time to answer all of them it's ok.

If these weren't decent questions that are easy to answer, I'd send this post down the road with a carrot in its ass for being too goddamn long. But here goes:

1. The distance between the bar and the wrist has to be as close to 0 as possible to shorten the lever arm against the wrist. The bar will fall out of your hand if you try to keep it vertical, so you have to carry the bar over the ends of the bones in your arm with the wrist bent just enough to accommodate this position. I find that a little pronation of the hand just before the weight is taken helps with this position.

2. The air squat is done with front squat mechanics, due to the necessity of balancing with the arms forward. This places the COM in about the same place as a light front squat, and the back angle gets vertical accordingly.

3. The line is the point at which the lever arm between the bar and the hip increases. If the back angle changes enough to increase the horizontal distance between the bar and the hip, it's too much. There should be a visible very slight change in back angle upon the initiation of the hip drive, but not very damn much.

4. There is no book that I know of that can elaborate much more on the GOMAD thing than you've already read about here.

5. Vince Gironda used to have his trainees eat 3 dozen eggs a day fried in certified raw butter, for some reason. They all lived. Juice is a glass of sugar and water, with a few vitamins. It will just make you fat. Stick with milk, meat, eggs, vegetables, and fruit and you cannot fuck up.

6. Scoliosis is bad if it's bad, not so big a deal if it's not bad. If you have been diagnosed, and if your back hurts every time you train and does not improve, you may not be able to train heavy. But Lamar Gant pulled a ~725 deadlift with severe scoliosis, so there you go. And you have to ask your doctor's permission to do anything, you have a poor understanding of the economics of this relationship.

7. Excessive, prolonged soreness is most usually a nutritional problem. Eat more, and eat more protein.

8. Yes, you should.

9. No one does a heavy squat with a perfectly motionless lordotic curve. You need to try to maintain a motionless low-back position, and that is the mechanical model. But no RM effort will be executed with absolutely perfect form -- if it was, it's not a true RM effort. Try like hell to keep it tight; if it's excessive, fix it; if it's a little round, well, you've been doing it wrong anyway and you're still okay.

10. It is possible for some people to overextend their low backs. This is due to flexibility and a lax anterior torso musculature (notice that I did not use the term "core" because I'm tired of hearing it on infomercials). The abs have to be cued and attention paid to the back position so that this does not become a problem. But really, I've never seen anyone but a rank novice do this, so I suspect that the problem fixes itself over time and before the weight gets heavy enough to kill you.

On the milk stuff...I swear to god since I've been drinking the real/raw I've been farting a magnitude less & the deuces are like Louisville Sluggers. There has to be some connection to the "intolerance" thing & milk found in stores. Just sayin'.

Thanks a lot man!

This is probably because the raw stuff is so goddamn expensive that you've had to curtail your consumption. It's also not available in many places, so any advice to drink it preferentially has be taken with a grain of Lactaid.

starting strength coach development program
    4) Can you recommend me any book on nutrition? I feel I know better than 99% of the instructors in my country after reading both Starting Strength and Practical Programming, but my nutrition knowledge is CERO. I am a skinny guy and want to get HUGE so I just have to eat like a lion, but not everyone is like me or have my same goals, so I find myself clueless when friends ask me about nutrition advice.
    I know Rip has recommended Gary Taubes' Good Calories, Bad Calories before. It probably wouldn't hurt to read one of the Barry Sears' Zone books either. They tend to have one or two very relevant chapters in them with the rest being somewhat less valuable. I'd pick up a recent one at the library, if I were you.