starting strength gym

Thread: What the hell have you done to me?

Thumbs up What the hell have you done to me?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Last time I had strep throat, I was a whiny little thing, holed up in bed bitching about how much it hurt to swallow.

This time I'm going to work as usual, swallowing my horse pills of amoxicillin, and continuing to go to the gym to lift heavy objects repeatedly.

I guess stronger people are more useful in general (and less annoying to be around).

This is merely the way all self-employed people behave when they are sick. Glad you've grown some balls. I'm proud.

Don't know your case but it might turn out in a few years it might have not been the best of ideas... Going to extremes is usually a bad idea.

I guess I am an exception to this rule.

When I get sick, I send all my clients down the street to Gold's, lay in bed and revel in the fact that I can stay at home without cutting into my vacation time because I used up a couple of "sick days" allotted to me by my employer.

I also enjoy this arrangement during dove and deer season.

I guess rado thinks that competitive athletics is a bad idea. Or a gallon of milk a day. I don't like your approach, rado. Way too many people think this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I guess rado thinks that competitive athletics is a bad idea. Or a gallon of milk a day. I don't like your approach, rado. Way too many people think this way.
    I would say competitive athletics is a good idea. Provided you have abilities and possibilities to compete at some level. If you know you're going to be mediocre, better look for something else.
    Fine, I can work as much as I can, I'm white and 184cm high - you think I'm able to win 100 metres with Usain Bolt? ;-)

I believe a gallon of milk is basically a bad idea if you can smooth out your diet and get protein from meat leaving lactose aside. There are healthier fats as well - macarel is a better choice than full milk, almonds or olive oil are as well. Sure it's easy and self-explanable to tell someone to eat as he used to and add a gallon of milk ton top of that. But, if we're in the area of competitive athletics, I s'ppose no professional athlete is on such a diet.

Anyway, I surely agree my approach doesn't guarantee best results. Far from that. But it's safe and easy-going. I like it that way.

Yes, it's quite average.

"I would say competitive athletics is a good idea. Provided you have abilities and possibilities to compete at some level. If you know you're going to be mediocre, better look for something else."

This kind of thinking really pisses me off. If you can't compete at the Olympics, better put down that Eleiko bar and take up badminton, since you'll never compete with Casey Burgener. Hey wait, badminton's in the Olympics too, you better just pick up an Xbox 360 and play Guitar hero. Hold on now buckaroo, there are professional Guitar Hero Players (god I wish I was kidding), and they would crush you, so just go to work and go home and sit in front the TV.

Bullshit. Athletics are supposed to be fun and physically demanding and make you look like you've spent your life being something other than comfortable. They are not supposed to be a way to fame and fortune, all though this attitude that you must be the greatest to compete at all, has turned all sports into spectacle and 99% of athletes into spectators.

You only have to compete at your best level, give it your all. I'm all in favor of pushing people into something that they would be good at (a 5'6" is probably not going to be good at basketball, Mugsey Bogues not withstanding), but if you want to do it, go for it.

I played D3 rugby in the US, which is the worst rugby in the world. And I had a blast doing it and I aspired to one day be a US D2 player, the second worst rugby in the world, and I made it. I never cared about making the Eagle or playing for White Marsh, and even though I couldn't make it there, I was still a bigger bad ass than 99% of the people out there because I refused to watch.

Don't watch, do. Don't complain, try.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by radosuaf View Post
    Anyway, I surely agree my approach doesn't guarantee best results. Far from that. But it's safe and easy-going. I like it that way.
    Wow, you've really sold it. Where do I sign up?