starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ed's Starting Strength Log

Default Ed's Starting Strength Log

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Well, I had my first workout today and I must admit, there were some things that took me by surprise. One of the things was the trepidation I felt at actually doing the workout. Seriously, I was like a groom at a shotgun wedding: looking for a way out while all the while knowing I was going to go through with it if I wanted to live.

After some thought, I understood why; My main hobby is competitive shooting, and like lifting, you can brag about your abilities all you want, but the targets tell the tale. With this? The bar doesn't lie. You can fool yourself all that you want, live within your illusions, BUT, once you get under the bar, your illusions are shattered and harsh reality slaps you in the face. That's where I'm at now. My numbers are....disappointing.

Once I arrived at the Y, I made a conscious decision to leave my ego outside and be real. I ran through all of the excuses in my head, bum shoulder, bad back, creaky knees, and then I told myself to get the f--k out of the car and get it done.

Now, since the book and DVD don't arrive until tomorrow, I used what I had gleaned off of this site and Youtube to do the workout. Luckily, I have tomorrow off, and if the UPS guy shows up early enough, I'll be able to watch the DVD uninterrupted.

Anyhow, here's how it went:

Squats: 3X5 - 75

I did what I read to do. I figure, if I started too light, I'll catch up.

Press: 3X5 - 65

Bum shoulder caused by a neck injury about 15 years ago. At one point, I lost all feeling and sensation in the ring and pinky fingers of my right hand. Slowly, it returned, but the inner tricep and part of my forearm de-conditioned in the process. I have full use again, but the right arm is significantly weaker than the left. I'm optimistic though, I could feel the whole thing firing during the lift.

Deadlift: 1X5 - 115

Embarassing, but, since the heaviest thing I've lifted lately was my fat a-- off of the couch, I'm not gonna whine about it.

One thing, this workout took a lot less time than anything else I've done. One of the reasons I hated going to the gym was because it took 2 hours or better to get a workout in. I also tried Crossfit, but working out 1 day and then being too sore to move for 3 didn't seem like it was helping. Unless I'm missing something, I'm going to do this.

I admire your willingness to take it on. Stick with it - it's life-changing.

I found the DVD to be immensely useful. I rewatch it every month or two. Seeing all the little corrections that Rip makes with the people in the video helps one understand the proper form so well.

Nice job, Ed. I would ask that you consider posting your weight, height, age, diet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Nice job, Ed. I would ask that you consider posting your weight, height, age, diet.
    Easy enough: 320 pounds, 6' 2", 51 years old, diet consists of A LOT of red meat, some veggies, and as little processed food or bread as I can stand. Breakfast is usually 3 sausage links, sometimes a couple of eggs, lunch is usually last night's leftovers, and dinner is either ground beef, chili (I love chili), or a steak and veggies, Occasionally, I give in to cravings for peanut butter or ice cream, but I usually snack on fruit or nuts. All carbs are eaten early and I usually stop eating at 9pm, bed by 11.

My only real vice is that I'm a coffee-holic.
    Last edited by ebd10; 08-26-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ebd10 View Post
    My only real vice is that I'm a coffee-holic.
    That is no vice: it shows good judgement and virtuous character.

Quote Originally Posted by ebd10 View Post
    Embarassing, but, since the heaviest thing I've lifted lately was my fat a-- off of the couch, I'm not gonna whine about it.
    You have nothing to be embarrassed about. Who the hell cares how much weight you lift? Is it more than you lifted last time? Then it's awesome.

Hey Ed. Welcome to SS. It can be a great program, and don't worry, most of us started out where you are at. Keep adding weight each WO. Slow and steady, ya know...

What kind of competitive shooting do you do? I'm shooting in IDPA.

Good stuff Ed, and welcome. Don't be embarrassed about lifting light. I started both squats deadlift with the empty bar, and got a few smirks. Those same smirking guys all stopped their workouts a few weeks ago to watch as I loaded up a 125kg deadlift and pulled my 5 reps with ease. Like the coaches said, add a bit more each time, and you'll be surprised how quickly the weight jumps up. And coffee is not a vice

It's great to get started. I didn't know what to expect at my first session but I'm glad I stuck it out. I'm looking forward to following your reports.

starting strength coach development program
    Well, it's Day 2.Things went pretty well, although I have to wonder if I'm missing something? I was in and out in less than an hour, including a 10-minute warm-up on the treadmill. Should I be doing more stuff?

I watched the DVD and started reading the book yesterday. I know I was doing some things wrong and am now working on correcting those things.

Anyhow, here are todays's results:

Squats: 3x5-85
    I modified my technique to match what Rip was saying and I could feel the difference! I already love / hate squats.

Bench Press: 3x5-95
    I have a strength deficit in my right arm. My left could have lifted more, but I'm using my right arm as a meter to judge where I'm at. I could feel everything firing, so I think I'm good to go, and that my right arm will even out eventually.

Deadlift 1x5-135
    You'll notice that I jumped 20 lbs. on this one. Like I said, I watched the video, changed some things, and realized that I could do more. This is a good place for me; not too heavy, not too light, just riiight.

Best part of all, my blushing bride had a steak waiting for me when I got home!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast