starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weightlifting shoes

Default Weightlifting shoes

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi guys. Can anyone recommend some advice on weightlifting shoes please? Have got a budget of about £50 ( think that's just over 60 bucks American money). Been looking at the Reebok lifter shoes in that price range. Seen another thread about heels or flats but still confused what to go for! Should I just buy some chucks and something that's just flat as with my budget? Many thanks guys much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by DavidENaylor View Post
    Hi guys. Can anyone recommend some advice on weightlifting shoes please? Have got a budget of about £50 ( think that's just over 60 bucks American money). Been looking at the Reebok lifter shoes in that price range. Seen another thread about heels or flats but still confused what to go for! Should I just buy some chucks and something that's just flat as with my budget? Many thanks guys much appreciated
    I would be skeptical of the quality of any weightlifting shoes you can buy for under 60USD. I think you'd be much happier adding 20 to 40USD to that budget.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I use a pair of ASICS wrestling shoes and get by just fine. Lift sometimes in my VANS too. When you squat, do you hit depth without a heel? Knees feel fine? I believe the point of the heel is to keep your shins straighter and reduce forward knee travel. If this is not an issue and your LP is progressing, why worry about the shoe at this time?

My $0.02

Have you ever squatted in a pair of weightlifting shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidENaylor View Post
    Should I just buy some chucks and something that's just flat as with my budget? Many thanks guys much appreciated
    You can deadlift in Chucks but don't squat in them. A squat shoe needs a hard heel that won't squish when you unrack the bar. My Nike shoes have the insole removed so they are rock hard and they hug the heel so that you can just forget about the shoes when the bar is on your back.

Amazon reviews on the Reebok shoe say that it is stiff and good for squats. Take a chance and you may get a shoe that's good for squatting at a fraction of what most pay for a squat shoe.

Hi guys many thanks for all the replies. Ive never worn them before Mark no. Im currently training bare foot/socks as I only have some cushioned running trainers! Been fine so far but as weights progress feeling bit less stable plus the floor at my gym is a rubber matting system which doesn't always give the best grip. Slight issue with depth as got heavier I must admit but nothing major at the moment. Never used them before so just wanted to know if worth it or beneficial as progress? Many thanks guys honestly appreciate it. This is all still new to me this strength training 🙂

I'd go for Adidas. If you're lucky and / or have an exotic foot size, you can get them for less. I got the Power Perfect 3 for 45€ at Amazon because it's a size 48 (which would be like a 13 for US). I normally have one size smaller but Adidas weightlifting shoes are kinda small. I also got 2 pairs just for good measure. This is about the only way your budget is sufficient for decent weightlifting shoes (unless you buy used ones).

More miles shoes £30 or so on Amazon. Had them for the last two and half years of lifting. Stable, comfortable and cheap with a medium/low heel. I've nothing but praise for them. My wife has the latest pair which appear even better than mine.

Cheap shoes are a false economy. I get sometimes you legitimately only have a certain amount to spend, but if you can increase the spend up towards $100 you will get a much more effective shoe and one that if treated properly will last you decades. I bought an entry level, very well known shoe for about $80 and it started breaking down after 3-4 months. After about 18 months I had to buy a replacement and nearly 10 years later the only thing that is not working like new are the ends of the laces.

starting strength coach development program
    Not sure if Mr. Rippetoe is referring to OP or me....as for me, no I haven’t (though I have squatted in fire boots which have a raised heel and I believe must be similar in some respects).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast