starting strength gym

Thread: Volume Day Squat Check

Default Volume Day Squat Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Back in late December, I hit a 5rm at 360, and since then, the wheels have fallen off my squat. The biggest problem is the hip tendonitis usually associated with knee slide. I've had a few form checks since then, but nothing has popped out on the video. In searching for the solution to that issue, things have gone a little more haywire, most notably, squats are high, and I lost the hamstring stretch and "bounce" out of the bottom. In addition, the tendonitis is still a problem.

Here is last nights volume day at 295:

As you'll see, I even got the TUBOW out for the last set, which seemed to help things a bit.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Aside from some questionable depth on some of your reps, I don't have a lot to complain about. Those are pretty good looking squats. Here are a few ideas. See if any of them help.

Really squeeze at the bottom. If you feel yourself letting go at all to try and bounce, fight that.
    Try some box squats. Any lack of tightness at the bottom will get addressed when you are counting one-one-thousand. I don't see you sliding forward at the bottom, but box squats can sometimes help with that. Start light. Box squats are hard.
    Stretch. Foam roll. Use a lacrosse ball. Dig into your hips with the ball. Hip flexors, hammies, quads, and glutes on the stretching.
    Get a mean massage.

Thanks for the advice Tom. Thinking "stay tight" made a HUGE difference, both in helping the hip flexor issue and making everything feel stronger. Intensity day singles of 390 felt faster than 385 and 380. The lacrosse ball/foam rolling helped quite a bit as well. I'll have to stay on top of it going forward.

What do you SS coaches do when you "lose your groove" on a exercise (assuming you do). I ended up trying about 1000 things (widen stance, tighten stance, change where the bar is on my back, change grip, knees forward, knees back, etc. etc.), when the solution really seemed to be "tighten up dummy." How do you go about it when things feel "off"?

Quote Originally Posted by Tygerqb12 View Post
    What do you SS coaches do when you "lose your groove" on a exercise (assuming you do). I ended up trying about 1000 things (widen stance, tighten stance, change where the bar is on my back, change grip, knees forward, knees back, etc. etc.), when the solution really seemed to be "tighten up dummy." How do you go about it when things feel "off"?
    I cannot speak for everyone, but in general I know how a lift should feel. That coupled with some video from time to time keeps my form from drifting much. I am also fortunate enough to interact with other Starting Strength coaches on a regular basis, so I can bounce ideas off them and have them watch what I am doing. A handful of my trainees have a decent eye for things, so I can lean on them from time to time.