starting strength gym

Thread: My quads keep cramping when I'm trying to press!

Default My quads keep cramping when I'm trying to press!

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,

My quads tend to start cramping quite frequently after training that involves the use of my legs. The usual culprit would be high volume squats, but on the rare occasions that I've ran or rode a bike intensely, it has happened as well. Normally they will occur later in the day, after I train, and when rising from a seated position.

So far I've just dealt with it, because I'd rather just put up with it than not squat. I've heard of muscle cramps being caused by calcium deficiency, but I don't think that's the case.

Recently though, I've been getting back into pressing after neglecting the lift for too long. The past two times that I've pressed, I've had to rack the bar because my quads started to cramp in the middle of a rep. I'd like to get a better press, but this seems to be hampering my progress.

Any possible causes/workarounds?

Cramps can be caused by dehydration, lack of sleep, or low electrolyte (Ca, Mg, Na, K) levels. I get them too. Learn not to squeeze your quads so hard, and up your mineral intake.

Thanks for the advice, and thanks for approving this thread. I was worried you would confuse my name with hamworld's, and delete this on principle.

You might want to consider a change. I don't always read carefully.

My legs shake violently after my press, much more than they ever have on my squats or deadlifts. I squeeze the hell out of them, and I know I would lose a significant amount of power if I couldn't.

I would try a multivitamin and keep water on me at all times. If you're already doing this, I don't know what to tell ya =/.

starting strength coach development program
    This happens to me all the time. I find that if I focus on squeezing my glutes during the press set I'm less likely to bear down on my quads as hard. Also doing a bunch of heel-to-butt kicks before I press seems to alleviate the problem somewhat.