starting strength gym

Thread: Elbows Flaring Out During Press

Default Elbows Flaring Out During Press

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I've noticed with a lot of my really deconditioned trainees their elbows will dramatically flare out wide mid-way up on the press about nose-forehead height.

I presumed this was due to weak rotator cuffs and stabilizing muscles, not being able to hold a tight shoulder girdle and would be corrected with simply getting stronger with the press and cuing reinforcement of elbows slightly forward, underneath the bar.

However, in SS 3rd Ed. page 95, with snap shots of the press it looks as if his elbows flare out in the 3rd and 4th frame. Although, it isn't as dramatic as what I am experiencing.

Is the flare a cause for concern? Or is the most important thing keeping the elbows under/slightly in front of the bar to minimize moment arms?

This is the way the elbows keep the bar close to the glenohumeral joint and allows you to access the whole deltoid belly. If it is excessive, it will make the bar path deviate from vertical as you come back under the bar. So some is normal, excessive is excessive.