starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbells Are the Isolations | Carl Raghavan

Default Barbells Are the Isolations | Carl Raghavan

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    What am I talking about? Let me tell you a recent true story. A guy at a globo-gym watched me deadlift 5 plates for a triple (220kg/484lbs). He then approached me and said, “What do you do for your traps?” I sagely nodded towards my platform and replied, “I just did it.”

Read article

Agree 100% on Arnold. He looks like he built the majority of his muscle before he even met Joe Weider.

Arnold is pretty open about that. His encyclopedia does go into the importance of lifting heavy, even for advanced bodybuilders, and certainly for novices.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    Arnold is pretty open about that. His encyclopedia does go into the importance of lifting heavy, even for advanced bodybuilders, and certainly for novices.
    Yes, but...

Arnold, et al. talking about the importance of lifting heavy, building a strength base, etc. then massively marketing all the bodybuilding isolation stuff is about like the major political parties popping off about liberty then legislating the way they do.

...except that the champion bodybuilders actually DO the strength stuff first.

In my estimation, Starting Strength outbodybuilds the bodybuilders.

J.D. Shipley is offline Owner, Starting Strength Houston

Aside from sleeping next to a warm fire, I also enjoy eating and mating next to one…now to figure how to get hunting next to one to be possible.

Great article Carl!

Except his novice routines don't actually emphasize it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Except his novice routines don't actually emphasize it at all.
    Yeah, I know. Have you watched pumping iron? He’s a total shyster. Not sure if that’s why he doesn’t program heavy for novices. He might have spent too much time with Serge Nubre .

Yeah, I know. Have you watched pumping iron? He’s a total shyster. Not sure if that’s why he doesn’t program heavy for novices. He might have spent too much time with Serge Nubre .
    I did, and I did notice the glee he had recounting a story of telling some newbie how to do things all wrong on purpose. It seemed like he mainly dominated that scene through mind games. I also remember that bit where he's doing a photoshoot for some hokey piece of crap called an "exerciser", and it was definitely the first and last time he ever held that thing in his hands.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I did, and I did notice the glee he had recounting a story of telling some newbie how to do things all wrong on purpose. It seemed like he mainly dominated that scene through mind games. I also remember that bit where he's doing a photoshoot for some hokey piece of crap called an "exerciser", and it was definitely the first and last time he ever held that thing in his hands.
    I watch it every once in a while for the comedy.

Lou’s dad going “ what a workout “ with a sigh of exhaustion after Lou finishes a set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast