starting strength gym

Thread: Low-Back Position in the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

Default Low-Back Position in the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    “Normal anatomical position” is the term applied to the human body standing upright, feet facing forward, palms facing forward, face looking directly forward, with knees, elbows, hips and spine held in extension – the position that establishes the least amount of angle between the joints in the bodypart. Normal spinal position is...

Read article

Very helpful article, and one that raises a question for me. At the suggestion of my SS coach, I replaced my 4” double ply belt with a SS 3” single ply (I’m 5’6”). Works great for squats and presses (never tried it for the bench).
    But when deadlifting, no matter how tight I get it, and whether I position it at bellybutton level or around the lower back, by the time I have bent down and got into position, it has loosened up and lost most of its usefulness. Perhaps the answer is as simple as “use the squat rack to get it even tighter, chowderhead,” but if you have any other thoughts I’d like to hear them.(As an aside, I’ll note that Nick’s suggestion to push your belly through your thighs has been very helpful.)

As discussed in the book, if the belt adjusts as you assume your start position on the pull, it was in the wrong place. Put it where it wants to be, then tighten one more hole.