starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not the snatch instead of the clean

Default Why not the snatch instead of the clean

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I find the Hang snatch easier to teach then the Hang clean. racking the bar on the shoulders seems to be the biggest problem . I realize the bar position in the snatch can cause problems, but it just seems easier. You do the Olympic lifts for power and Squat,d-lift and press for strength. The 2nd pull in the snatch is the most poweful movement in all of weightlifting. Why not drop the clean and just do the snatch? What am I missing?

On which one can you do more weight?

Clean. Love your website. I have a bunch of kids doing SS and getting great results. Thanks

But the snatch has greater distance, so the power output can be greater despite a lower weight -- you made the point in your book that the greatest power output in human movement is from the snatch.

Right. But who are we training? And is there more to a heavy clean than just the power at the top?

I suppose with a heavier first pull on the clean you get more carryover to the deadlift.

Exactimundo.

So my question, then, is what % of the deadlift would be needed on the clean for ~15 total reps to be a reasonable training stimulus? I deadlift 355, my typical power clean set is 160: less than half that. It's probably technique, but still will 40% be enough? Wouldn't it be better to do say 60% or 70% deadlift sets on a non DL day, and then independently clean or snatch at whatever weight is possible to develop those lifts?

Not everybody is capable of a 60-70% of deadlift clean. The efficiency with which a lifter turns strength into power varies with genetic endowment and experience. Do what you can, and that is all you can do.

starting strength coach development program
    Probably technique for me. When my timing is on and I remind myself to get low on the catch I can clean a lot more. Getting under the bar, bending knees on the landing, has been my biggest challenge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast