starting strength gym

Thread: Warm-Up for Maximal effort (1RMs)

Default Warm-Up for Maximal effort (1RMs)

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    What is the best way (recommended) to warm up for a 1RM, anything, what would your guidance be? From looking through the section in "Starting Strength" concerning warm-ups, I can see that the warm up should match the workout, but it doesn't specifically address warming up for a maximal effort. That's not a critique on your book, I'm just saying I don't want to make an incorrect assumption!

Three days ago I maxed out on squat, press and deadlift. I used four warm up sets for the squat; 5 @ 45, 5 @ 205, 3 @ 255, and 2 @ 295. My first working set was 350, second working set 365 and I maxed out at 375, which was a 5 pound PR. Everything felt great but I wondered if a better warm up would've made a difference.

By "working set" do you mean a set of 5, or a single max?

FYI, this is discussed in Practical Programming. It's in the extremely long footnote at the end of the "Starr Model" section in Chapter 7. (Sorry, no page numbers- I only have the Kindle edition)

I believe working up with singles with the last single ~92% of the 1RM attempt is the recommendation Rip has given before.