starting strength gym

Thread: Strained my fingers with deadlift - still aches

Default Strained my fingers with deadlift - still aches

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Ok so little about me - I'm 79 KG, squat 95-100KG 3x5 and deadlift between 80-90 KG 1x5. As you can see I can't deadlift as much as I can squat. It seems impossible for me to deadlift more as the weight just ends up on my fingers. I tried to grip the bar as hard as possible and push past my deadlift limits. I recall about 1 month ago I did this and the complete the rep but my fingers ached after most the weight ended up on them. It's been 1 month and my fingers still ache. They hurt at the joints and don't feel as strong. As you can see by my name, I'm a fencer and grip strength is actually something I should be good at. Come to think of it my fingers are pretty thin, is it possible to bulk them up? I'm not deadlifting right now but wonder if I should just work on finger exercises instead of deadlifts since all deadlifts seem to do right now is hurt me rather than work the muscles in the way squat, bench or OHP does.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by fencer View Post
    Ok so little about me - I'm 79 KG, squat 95-100KG 3x5 and deadlift between 80-90 KG 1x5. As you can see I can't deadlift as much as I can squat. It seems impossible for me to deadlift more as the weight just ends up on my fingers. I tried to grip the bar as hard as possible and push past my deadlift limits. I recall about 1 month ago I did this and the complete the rep but my fingers ached after most the weight ended up on them. It's been 1 month and my fingers still ache. They hurt at the joints and don't feel as strong. As you can see by my name, I'm a fencer and grip strength is actually something I should be good at. Come to think of it my fingers are pretty thin, is it possible to bulk them up? I'm not deadlifting right now but wonder if I should just work on finger exercises instead of deadlifts since all deadlifts seem to do right now is hurt me rather than work the muscles in the way squat, bench or OHP does.
    Cheers
    Get some chalk, it'll allow you to get past 90kg if your not using it already. Also what is your caloric intake? Eat double your breakfast for your next deadlift day and see what happens

If your deadlifting almost 90kg, you've already trained your hands to enable gripping almost 90kg, what other exercise is there that will help your hands lift more than 90kg, apart from having your hands lift 90kg?
    Last edited by Jacob R; 11-09-2016 at 05:11 AM.

What grip are you using?

If it's double overhand you can consider switching to hook grip (which will hurt but not that much) or mixed grip (which will also hurt once you are lifting a lot of weight).

And yes, chalk is essential.

Quote Originally Posted by fencer View Post
    Come to think of it my fingers are pretty thin, is it possible to bulk them up? I'm not deadlifting right now but wonder if I should just work on finger exercises instead of deadlifts since all deadlifts seem to do right now is hurt me rather than work the muscles in the way squat, bench or OHP does.
    Cheers
    There are no muscles in your fingers. Bulking them up is not a matter of exercise. Finger exercises are generally worthless.

Check your grip. Are you holding the bar in the correct part of the hand ?

There are literally several Youtube videos dealing with this. Chalk help, a does using a bar with a decent knurl and not some polished piece of chrome junk that gyms in the UK are full of.

Or use lifting straps for your work set. Increasing load strengthens you, failure is just failure.

Post a video on technique section. I'm 69. I'm slowly working up from the first time I switched to reverse grip until now. The first time was at about 98 kg. Today I don't need to switch to reverse grip until about 110 kg. My grip is stronger but my fingers haven't changed size. I don't know why?

Eat some damn food. We can make all of your lifts improve if you put 20kg onto your frame.

You need to strengthen your fingers. Ed Coan (the greatest of all time) has always recommended training your fingers to have a strong grip.
    At 8:40 he shows one of his favorite Grip & Ab exercises. Best of luck.

Heya Fencer. For what it's worth, I don't think you're lifting anywhere near enough to justify doing any grip training.

From the limited info you've given, you just need to look at how you're holding the bar, since you shouldn't be getting hurt, not just at that weight... but any weight.
    There's plenty of videos and posts on here and the rest of the internet discussing proper grip.

For what it's worth, I'm well on my way to a 250kg (550lb?) pull in the next few weeks, and I have small hands with long, thin fingers.
    I switched from mixed grip to hookgrip last November and it's served me very well for deadlifts, but I'd still encourage double overhand for warmup weights and any accessories you might be doing.

starting strength coach development program
    Not sure how to ask without sounding like a complete dick but have you been very sedentary throughout your life until now. I have to say, I've never heard of anyone straining their fingers with 200 pounds. It's definitely an odd issue you have. It has to be the way you're gripping the bar (or not gripping the bar) or, as mentioned, you're using one of those cheap bars with little to no knurling.

Please don't take offense to my first question, I'm just trying to figure out how and why you have the issue you do.