starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novice Progression Diet Check (Carb Sources)

Default Novice Progression Diet Check (Carb Sources)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Jordan,

I've been holding off on seeking advice, but here I am. I've been running the SS novice progression with a SS coach since the beginning of January. I train at his SS gym at 6 am M/W/F, which is about 45 minutes away from me. I'm up at 4 am and try to be out of the door by 4:45.

My starting points were:

Squat: 75 lbs
    Bench: 65 lbs
    Press: 35 lbs
    Deadlift: 105 lbs

Body weight and height: 133 lbs and 6'0''

As of March 6, my lifts are:

Squat: 185 lbs (failed at 200 last week and had to re-set 10% to start this week -- first re-set)
    Bench: 102.5 lbs
    Press: 62 lbs
    Deadlift: 190 lbs
    Clean: 80 lbs

I am also progressing through a band-assisted pull-up routine that I do on Monday and Friday's

My weight: 151 lbs

I also work with my coach on weekly macros, but I wanted to reach out to you on here to check my diet and inquire about carb sources, as I am now at 400 + carbs a day. My fiber intake is high, and I am trying to adjust it down a bit, but honestly don't know where to go with it. My #1 goal so far has been to eat for recovery and gains. I didn't want to overthink it.

This week, I am at 170/415/120 p/c/f, to which my meal plan hits 168/410/116. When we first set macros on the week of January 7, I was at 150/225/75 and have adjusted up weekly since then. On days I work out, I am getting in an extra 18 grams of protein that exceeds the 168 currently set. I have it with oats before I workout in the morning.

On workout days, here is what I'm eating:

5 am: 1 scoop protein and 1 package of instant oats

8-8:30 am: 1.5 cups of oats, two tbsp. peanut butter, Greek Yogurt (I eat Fage greek yogurt -- this is the 2% variety) and a banana

12 pm: Three hard-boiled eggs, 2 1/3 cups of frozen green beans, 1 cup blueberries, 10 ounces sweet potato and 1 cup of whole milk (just incorporated whole milk this week)

5 pm: 8 ounces uncooked skinless chicken thighs (5 ounces cooked), 2.5 cups frozen broccoli, 1 tbsp. olive oil and 180 grams of cooked brown rice (try to shoot for 1/2 cup of uncooked rice).

8:30 pm: 1 cup Greek yogurt (Full-fat variety), 4 rice cakes and 2 tbsp. peanut butter

I am in bed by 9:45. I need to put the tablet away.

On non-workout days, all food is the same (minus the protein shake), but instead of 1.5 cups of oats for breakfast, I do 2 cups of oats. I move the banana to dinner on those days, too.

1) This is upwards of 70 grams of fiber. I've read on the forum that you want high-carb diets to have a max. of 60 grams. Because I do all of my food is single-ingredient, I don't know how to decrease this number, assuming my carb intake will continue rising slowing. My coach is great and understands my past and has been talking to me about doing Gatorade while I train. We also discussed honey the other day.

2) Would it be more beneficial for me to exchange the protein powder for BCAAs instead? I personally like getting all of my food from whole foods, but have the protein powder because of the early morning workout.

3) As I mentioned above, I had to re-set after failing at 200 lbs. Obviously, it is frustrating, but I am glad of the progress I have been making. With that said, I don't want to sabotage my lifts because I am not feeding myself. Next week, when I get to 200 lbs again, I want to kill it. My experience tells me that I must feed myself for gains. Can I get some assistance on carb sources? I thought 250 carbs a day was difficult at first, and now I am at 400 +. I can only add on to my current diet so much. Perhaps other individuals that have gone through the progression can assist me?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to also say thanks for this forum and your go-get-them attitude. I frequently watch your lifts, as well as Austin Baraki's and Michael Wolf's. This is only the start, but I think the SS team is excellent. Truly, thank you for your time. Now to the gainzz.

1)Eat less vegetables (1 serving per meal is fine), swap brown rice out for white rice, and I think you'd be best served by allowing multi-ingredient foods.

2) No

3) You need to gain more weight. I would push you to do so. Think 4lbs a week.

You can do it, but you need to push the weight gain now.

Jordan, at this point would you say it's appropriate for the OP to GOMAD? I used to weigh 130lb (6'1") up till I was 24, and I found drinking lots of Lactaid (can't do milk) after every meal helpful to get to 175lb. Now I'm 185lb and gaining 1lb a week by eating lots of cereal/granola.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobda View Post
    My starting points were:

Squat: 75 lbs
    Bench: 65 lbs
    Press: 35 lbs
    Deadlift: 105 lbs

Body weight and height: 133 lbs and 6'0''

As of March 6, my lifts are:

Squat: 185 lbs (failed at 200 last week and had to re-set 10% to start this week -- first re-set)
    Bench: 102.5 lbs
    Press: 62 lbs
    Deadlift: 190 lbs
    Clean: 80 lbs

I am also progressing through a band-assisted pull-up routine that I do on Monday and Friday's

My weight: 151 lbs
    I don't mean this disrespectfully, but are you a male or female? (I'm assuming a guy, but)...Also, out of curiosity, how old are you?

Either way, a minor comment from the peanut gallery and to echo what Jordan says: "Drop the single ingredient foods." You can eat plenty healthy without the need for single ingredient foods. It also seems like you need some more nutrient dense foods in your diet like more peanut butter, more potatoes, cereal, bread (PB&J!!), nuts, dates, and beef (rib eye!)...

Your 12pm, how do you cook that?
    Is it just 3 eggs and a side of green beans or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Jordan, at this point would you say it's appropriate for the OP to GOMAD? I used to weigh 130lb (6'1") up till I was 24, and I found drinking lots of Lactaid (can't do milk) after every meal helpful to get to 175lb. Now I'm 185lb and gaining 1lb a week by eating lots of cereal/granola.
    I would agree, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    I don't mean this disrespectfully, but are you a male or female? (I'm assuming a guy, but)...Also, out of curiosity, how old are you?

Either way, a minor comment from the peanut gallery and to echo what Jordan says: "Drop the single ingredient foods." You can eat plenty healthy without the need for single ingredient foods. It also seems like you need some more nutrient dense foods in your diet like more peanut butter, more potatoes, cereal, bread (PB&J!!), nuts, dates, and beef (rib eye!)...
    x100

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    1)Eat less vegetables (1 serving per meal is fine), swap brown rice out for white rice, and I think you'd be best served by allowing multi-ingredient foods.

2) No

3) You need to gain more weight. I would push you to do so. Think 4lbs a week.

You can do it, but you need to push the weight gain now.
    Done. Made the immediate change to white rice. I got the stomach bug the same day writing this and had to miss my Wednesday training. Weighed in at 152.8 on Wednesday morning and was at 147.4 Thursday morning. Before training Friday, it ticked back up to 149, but still a far cry from where I need to be.

I'm now shooting for 153-155 by next Friday. 200 squat is back next week, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    I'm not against GOMAD. I'd like to eat whole food, because I've deprived myself of food in the past. If I fail to part ways with my single ingredient mindset, GOMAD is the only option. That or fail. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post

I am a 22-year-old male. It's that embarrassing, huh? I'm definitely not proud of where I am, and I actually use to be an athlete. Alas, I can't undo what I have done for the past 8 years. I shallowed any ego I had when I made the decision to travel to a SS gym. I approach it as: To get to a 400 lb squat, I have to get to 225 first. The only way that happens is if I show up and do the work and not sabotage myself in the kitchen.

Thanks for the food tips. I've been thinking of a banana and peanut butter sandwich for awhile. And I'd love to do cereal and granola, but I really need to relearn how to perceive food. Too many bad demons in my head. Also, I've been doing ground beef throughout my progression. I just wanted to give chicken thighs a try. I also haven't had a steak in nearly 8 years. It has been something I've been wanting, too. How about bagels? I definitely have a lot of ideas, but probably too many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd90 View Post
    Your 12pm, how do you cook that?
    Is it just 3 eggs and a side of green beans or what?
    Hard boiled eggs or three eggs in the microwave, stirred frequently throughout. As for green beans, I measure what I need, add water and microwave.

Hey OP,

I'll just echo what everyone else here says. Your food quality seems to be very high. This is a good thing. However, in this phase of your training you need to go "beyond the clean".

The way I look at is that once you've hit the 35-40g of fiber in a day with mostly whole foods, the world is your oyster in terms of fitting your macros. Enjoy it. You're clearly in charge of your diet to a high, high degree. Maybe you're just tilted a bit too far in the "clean" direction. Let's tilt a bit the other way, towards the center and hit those macros.

Go turkey over chicken if it is available, especially ground. The fat content is higher (can find up to 15%), which means it is going to taste better and give you the calories you need for mass.

I was 5'9 159lbs when I started the program and decided to go all in with GOMAD add whatever mass I could in 10-12 weeks as I can always cut later if needed. I felt I was overeating for the first 2 weeks (4k+ calories) but only added 2lbs. I maintained the same calories, but the next 2 weeks I put on 10lbs. This is why I advocate to eat more than you think you need to start so you are ahead of the curve with the stress becomes high enough to really force adaption. I am now 6 weeks in (159 -> 178) with minimal loss of definition in my abs.

Your wording in your posts make you seem very hesitant to eat and put on weight, which is typical for someone of your build (tall/skinny). Make a macro calorie goal and focus on hitting it with whatever you can instead of just adding all the meals together and seeing where you end every day; this changes the perspective.

starting strength coach development program
    For what it is worth, I weighed in at 153 this morning and squatting 200 felt like 180. I've never been that pumped after completing a set, as I was today starting out.

So, I switched to white rice and am cutting back on some veggies. Went from green beans to spinach, too. I never knew less fiber would feel so much better. Diet was the same this week, but I started adding more milk between Wednesday and Friday (200 lb squat was much more smooth than 195 on Wednesday). As mentioned previously, I still like getting my food from whole foods, but I am using milk strategically for any stalls. I'll be adding more milk as I progress.

Still looking to add in multi-ingredient foods, so hopefully that is something I can work on this week.

Thanks, guys. 4 lbs/week is where it is at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast