starting strength gym

Thread: Stuck in bench and shoulder press

Default Stuck in bench and shoulder press

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hi

I have been doing starting strength for a year, my other lifts been going up somewhat steadily, but for bench and shoulder press, currently bench stuck at around 170, shoulder press at 95, I tried so many things, floor press, dips, block bench press, resetting etc.

Still stuck for 3 or 4 months already, it just won't go up.

Any idea or suggestion?

Thanks.

Forgot to mention my stats

Male
    Height : 5'6"
    Weight : 168 lbs
    Squat : 245
    Bench : 170 (if I am lucky)
    Shoulder Press : 95
    Deadlift : 275
    Power Clean : 115
    Overhead Squat : 50
    Pull up : 15
    Chin up : 15

I drink a shake with banana in the morning then sweet potato, around 11, energy bar, lunch, fruits, hit the gym, then dinner.

Workout
    Tues : squat, bench, pull up
    Thurs : squat, press, chin up
    Sat: bench, DL, pull up

I usually play around with PC or OHS on my off days if I have time, otherwise rest or cardio.

Have you been gaining weight gradually with your current diet? Caloric surplus is important for guys our size. Mass moves mass.

And are you microloading yet? That's useful for the upper body lifts.

Form is always something to consider when it comes to novices stalling on progress. Sometimes you've just got to get better at the movements themselves. Videos welcome.

I'm a newbie so I won't give advice but I would echo BareSteel's suggestion on the microloading. My last 5lb jump on the press was over 2 mos ago from 85 to 90. Since then I've moved from 90 to 97 (so far) with 1lb per week increments. Dan has a great set of microplates that are well worth the money.
    Last edited by OldDog; 11-08-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: correct url

Quote Originally Posted by startingbeginner View Post
    my stats

Male
    Height : 5'6"
    Weight : 168 lbs
    Squat : 245
    Bench : 170 (if I am lucky)
    Shoulder Press : 95
    Deadlift : 275
    Power Clean : 115
    Overhead Squat : 50
    Pull up : 15
    Chin up : 15
    I have been doing starting strength for a year

No, you haven't.

Jsutt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    No, you haven't.
    Beat me to it. If you're stalled that long then it's time to think about some different programming, as well as all the other advice re: eating and technique.

Thanks guys for all your advices.

Ya, I should have post some videos, but normally i workout by myself, so it's kind of difficult to take video on my workouts, but I will try. I studied all the movements with youtube, starting strength dvd, etc.

I guess I am not doing the program, I know I have to take 20g of protein a day, etc etc. My weight kind of going up, like I was 165 2 months ago, went up for a bit, at 168 now, but it's kind of hard to eat what I have to eat, like 1/2 lb of meat every dinner, esp when I don't really have the appetite.

As for micro loading, I guess that's what I have to do next, coz I am really out of ideas now.

Thanks.

Ya, I should have post some videos, but normally i workout by myself, so it's kind of difficult to take video on my workouts, but I will try. I studied all the movements with youtube, starting strength dvd, etc.

I guess I am not doing the program, I know I have to take 20g of protein a day, etc etc. My weight kind of going up, like I was 165 2 months ago, went up for a bit, at 168 now, but it's kind of hard to eat what I have to eat, like 1/2 lb of meat every dinner, esp when I don't really have the appetite.

As for micro loading, I guess that's what I have to do next, coz I am really out of ideas now.

Thanks.
    You're not out of ideas. You have plenty of good ideas, eating more, getting form checks, doing the program, micro-loading the presses.

starting strength coach development program

Thanks.
    You mean 200g, right? Have you tried more press and bench volume?