starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low bar squat with oly shoe

Default Low bar squat with oly shoe

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Been using converse for a while, but after reading so many times that a proper weightlifting shoe with a heel makes a huge difference, bought the Adidas Adipower.

They make front squatting feel so much better. But when low bar squatting, it just feels awkward, even after 4 or 5 workouts. It feels like I have to fight to fall forward. Maybe it's the way I'm built. Normal torso, but long limbs.

What do you guys recommend? Stick with converse? Other shoes?

You'll have to learn how to squat with the shoes. If you're short (like <5'7") the .75" heel might be too much. But generally I think a higher heel is better for people with long legs/short torso, as you won't have to lean over as much.

For stubby legged (or short) people it may be better to have a low/no heel for low bar squats. Because the big heel will put you more onto your quads, which for those builds might be too much.

Either way it will take some time and practice to get used to.

When I first got mine, it helped immensely to remember "The Master Cue."

I found it really helped with stability and depth. Before, my feet would roll around a little but with the adipowers the feet stay pretty locked in. My only gripe is that I'm a 12.5 and Canada only sells 12 and 13 shoes. So far I'm trying the 13s which are pretty good as the 12s really crush my feet, but it isn't quite perfect like i was looking for.

They're tough to get used to. I hated the rogue .5 inches forever. The place I notice improvement off the hop (puns) is on cleans, snatches and front squats.

Myself and everyone I know immediately squatted much better in proper lifting shoes. Nearly everyone runs out to buy a pair after trying them on once.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Moye View Post
    You'll have to learn how to squat with the shoes. If you're short (like <5'7") the .75" heel might be too much. But generally I think a higher heel is better for people with long legs/short torso, as you won't have to lean over as much.

For stubby legged (or short) people it may be better to have a low/no heel for low bar squats. Because the big heel will put you more onto your quads, which for those builds might be too much.

My experience was the complete opposite. I'm 5'6" and a bit with 29" legs. PR'd my squat the first time I used the adipowers with .75" heel. Used chucks before for a year.

Adipowers run narrow like the power trainers? I love the Nikes. I started with the Wei Rui. Love heeled lifting shoes. The arch support on the nikes are helpful too.

Quote Originally Posted by scwot View Post
    My experience was the complete opposite. I'm 5'6" and a bit with 29" legs. PR'd my squat the first time I used the adipowers with .75" heel. Used chucks before for a year.
    Interesting. You must be fairly upright when you squat huh?

For me I used the heels since the beginning, and they always put me forward a bit-- made my bar path funky out of the bottom. Which made my back pretty strong over time, but I don't think it was ideal for my squat.

I'm 5'9" with short legs.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Moye View Post

Interesting. I think my legs and torso are average length for my 5-10 height but I'm pretty sure my femurs are relatively short and my lower legs are relatively long (same issue with upper arms/forearms). Maybe I'm a candidate for flat shoes?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast