starting strength gym

Thread: Benching Questions

Default Benching Questions

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello Starting Strength Coaches,

Today I had to bench 195 x 5 x 3. I filmed the last set (Video 1) and I realized I was not controlling it as much as I should and letting it get loose right at the end of the eccentric. So I decided to film another set of 2 reps with a tighter and more controlled eccentric. It definitely looks better. (Video 2)

1. Should I repeat 195 x 5 x 3 on Friday and make sure I get it with the good form before moving forward or should I move onto 200 x 5 x 3? Either way, I am going to use the tighter and more controlled form from now on.

2. On the Video 2, I feel like on the first rep I lower the bar lower on my sternum than on the second rep. The second rep I let my elbows come out and move it more vertically like Rippetoe recommends. Which one looks better? The first rep feels tighter but it might be less efficient since the bar path is less vertical...

Video 1 - http://youtu.be/bLHFwyVCRbA
    Video 2 - http://youtu.be/JqsqaDAqVJw

Your bar path won't be perfectly vertical in the bench, so don't flare your elbows to try to get it vertical if you love your shoulders.

1. Should I repeat 195 x 5 x 3 on Friday and make sure I get it with the good form before moving forward or should I move onto 200 x 5 x 3? Either way, I am going to use the tighter and more controlled form from now on.
    Same answer as in your squat post!

[QUOTE=Same answer as in your squat post![/QUOTE]

Hahaha well played sir! I will move up.

So in the Video 2 the first rep looked better? Either way I should keep the form from the second video, right?
    I feel like I am overthinking things but I feel like its good to get a coaches opinion.

It's hard to tell from the video, but you it looks like you could touch the bar to your chest about an inch higher on your chest. Looks fine, though.