starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: almost passed out deadlifting

Default almost passed out deadlifting

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    The other night i was deadlifting and on my last set i glanced upwards as i was struggling through the last rep. When i locked out at the top everything went black for a split second and i almost fell over. Is this a common thing to happen when looking upwards?

no but it's a common thing while deadlifting heavy

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    The other night i was deadlifting and on my last set i glanced upwards as i was struggling through the last rep. When i locked out at the top everything went black for a split second and i almost fell over. Is this a common thing to happen when looking upwards?
    Fainting after deadlifting is pretty common. If you start to feel lightheaded, drop the bar and drop to a knee until it clears.

If you can't do that, you should make certain to have someone nearby, holding a video camera. Make certain to make at least one guttural scream before passing out. We're kind of starved for amusement here.

This video's two years old, and we really need a new and improved version.

Breath better.

I think of almost passing out during a lift as an important milestone on your strength training journey. Congratulations! :-)

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBeech View Post
    I had almost the exact same thing happen to me last week, though I was looking straight ahead rather than up--I previously hit PRs in the squat and bench and was going for another in the deadlift (made it, but barely), so I'm guessing I was just out of gas by the end. Just had to crouch down and take 20 seconds and it passed.

I've almost fainted a few other times in my life while really pushing my limit (almost always lower body pushes/pulls). I could be wrong, but I think it's sort of common whenever you're going balls to the wall.

I have seen some passing out videos before but never that one. The guy totalled himself! Thanks for all the insight as well. What i found strange was i didnt feel faint at all afterwards. It was literally a split second of blackness and then a loss of coordination and then i was fine! Guess it was some freak accident.

I find that taking in a HUGE breath before pulling makes me very dizzy. If I take a shorter breath, no dizziness. I got the idea of taking less air in this thread http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=8272&

starting strength coach development program
    I've had that feeling when flipping 1000# tires and DLing already... scary shit when it happens.

During the tire I actually staggered into the wall after a set of 3 flips, lost my legs, was dizzy and held myself up by the wall... thought I was going for sure after that one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast