starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've become a heater... why?

Default I've become a heater... why?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Ever since I started SS I've become a heater. I give off tons of heat. Its noticeable since before I started I was a "cold" person and didn't sweat a lot. These days I sweat tons and I give off literal heat which my wife can testify to.

Is this related to SS? Is heat a by-product of growing muscles burring calories by chance? Or is it a better circulation as a side-affect of consistent training schedule? I never got this when I just exercised in the gym.

Another thing. I have Achilles tendonitis in my left ankle. Since starting SS the nagging pain has disappeared. Strength affects tendon inflammation?

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by solomani View Post
    Ever since I started SS I've become a heater. I give off tons of heat. Its noticeable since before I started I was a "cold" person and didn't sweat a lot. These days I sweat tons and I give off literal heat which my wife can testify to.

Is this related to SS? Is heat a by-product of growing muscles burring calories by chance? Or is it a better circulation as a side-affect of consistent training schedule? I never got this when I just exercised in the gym.

Another thing. I have Achilles tendonitis in my left ankle. Since starting SS the nagging pain has disappeared. Strength affects tendon inflammation?

Just curious.
    I'm not a doctor, but I would say your metabolism has picked up from extra calorie consumption and training. The tendon thing might be the whole "rising tide" affect. I hope it is because that is how I'm trying to fix my elbow. Forgive my inept description of how it might work, but it's as if your body optimizes for growing and healing and old nagging injuries just get caught up in it.

Hi Colo, thanks for the info. All + it sounds.

Protein is also thermogenic. You’re probably eating a lot more protein than you used to.

Solomani, you've got nothing to worry about. You're simply becoming a demi-god with fire abilities. It shouldn't be long before you simply are on fire constantly. Your squat will determine how hot the flames are and your OHP will determine how far you can shoot them. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by PressesPeople View Post
    Solomani, you've got nothing to worry about. You're simply becoming a demi-god with fire abilities. It shouldn't be long before you simply are on fire constantly. Your squat will determine how hot the flames are and your OHP will determine how far you can shoot them. Hope this helps.
    Haha. Will I be able to fly?

Yeah, this is all pretty normal sounding. You'll give off more heat since your metabolism is going more (more muscle damage being repaired, more food being digested, etc.), though the radiating heat will probably taper off with the novice progression. A lot of my shoulder problems went away when I started training and, like ColoWayno stated, it's probably a side effect of your whole body waking and trying to get all sorts of things repaired. You may also have some endorphine pain-suppression going on, too. But that's just another crazy guess on my part.

It sometimes gets annoying when I break a sweat from doing a light jog to catch the bus, even in winter (in CANADA). All the other benefits mountain over this con though, so don't worry about it.

Don't be this guy, though:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15032614

Forensic experts found a fire in the fireplace of the sitting room where the badly burnt body was found had not been the cause of the blaze that killed Mr Faherty.

The court was told that no trace of an accelerant had been found and there had been nothing to suggest foul play.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by solomani View Post

Just curious.
    Everyone else is talking about sweating, I'll talk about the Achilles, because having chronic wet pits isn't all that big a deal. On the wet pits front, listen to your deodorant commercials. Achilles tendonitis/tendonosis, on the other hand, is a big fucking deal, and while you think it is tendonitis, which heals(with time), it could be tendonosis, which doesn't.

I tore my calf muscle sometime in mid-December, and may have injured my Achilles at around the same time(maybe earlier, I really don't know for sure). The pain would come and go, and usually my foot was pretty stiff every morning. When I started squatting back in early February, I had depth issues because of a lack of flexibility in my foot and hamstrings(but no pain). At the time, I couldn't figure out why, but now, I'm pretty certain my foot played a major role. It wasn't until I broke 300lbs in the squat that I started to feel pain there, mainly because while the weakened tendon was strong enough to deal with the stress of squatting lighter weights, and the heel would lift, at 300 lbs, it wasn't strong enough, and would stretch(and start hurting). At that point, I bought a pair of lifting shoes, and when that didn't fix things, I had a shoe store make a set of 1.25cm insoles for the shoes out of cork(because it is relatively non-compressible compared to other materials available)

Eventually, I partially ruptured tendon on 6/19. I didn't do it squatting, I did it throwing a discus, which given how explosive a motion it is, it was too much for the tendon to handle. I had surgery on 7/19 where they removed all the diseased tissue, detached the tendon and removed a heel spur, then reattached the tendon and transfered the FHL tendon in my big toe to my heelbone. I was on crutches for two months, and I'm only just barely beginning to squat again, and my foot is just starting to gain some flexibility. I would say at this point, I'm about 70%-75% healed. I can walk more or less normally in shoes, but not for very far, and it is still all to easy for me to reinjure it doing seemingly very little. Just getting that out of the way so you know I'm not talking completely out my ass.

First off, if you are squatting barefoot or in chucks, STOP! Get a pair of oly lifting shoes with a fairly high heel and use those to squat in. If you can't find oly shoes, get regular lifting shoes, and, if necessary, go to a shoe repair shop and have lifts made, like I did. This will take a lot of stress off that tendon. Make them for both feet, because even a 1/2" difference in leg length can fuck up your knees. If you start getting pain, see an orthopedist. This is something you really don't want to fuck with, or pretend it will go away. Achilles ruptures are serious bad news, and recovery takes months.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast