starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groin pull rehab

Default Groin pull rehab

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I was thinking of trying the Starr rehab for a pulled adductor. Has anyone tried this before? I was just going to do squats, but I was considering using a wider stance to involve the adductors more. Any thoughts on this? Also, how much do people feel stretching helps with this type of injury?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Foobar40 View Post
    I was thinking of trying the Starr rehab for a pulled adductor. Has anyone tried this before? I was just going to do squats, but I was considering using a wider stance to involve the adductors more. Any thoughts on this? Also, how much do people feel stretching helps with this type of injury?

Thanks in advance.
    After the initial injury, leave 48 hours for the muscle to rest, use Ice as much as possible. After a couple of days when the pain disappears, do slow controlled sretches.

Your groin has tendons and muscle belly. You can injure one or the other or both. If I understand it correctly starr rehab only applies to muscle belly tears. Make sure this is actually what you have. Constantly applying stretches (as in squatting) will probably only exacerbate a freshly torn tendon.

If it is the muscle belly though yes starr rehab works well. Don't use a wider stance just keep your knees out wide like normal. (if your normal stance doesn't involve enough adductors it probably has form problems) Don't stretch a torn muscle for the sake of stretching ever. You would do the rehab, ice after everyday, and that's all the stretching it should get.

Based on where the pain is, I'm confident it's not a tendon injury. I feel it most right in the middle of the muscle, although the pain does move around a bit (hurts in different places for adduction vs internal rotation and varies somewhat with the angle of my knee).

OK, I'll do normal squats. I injured it in the first place by squatting with too wide a stance anyway.

Thanks for the feedback.

Do your normal squats, but do them VERY light. Start off without the bar, then just the bar, and make as many 10 lb jumps as you think you feel comfortable with. Don't squat heavy again until it's 100%.

OK, update time. I was doing well with the rehab. Today I was doing 95 3x20. Everything was going great until I felt a small pop in the groin on rep 12 of the 3rd set. I think I was feeling so good doing it that I was driving out of the bottom too aggressively.

Anyway, where should I go now? If it's feeling more or less the same tomorrow, do I try 95 3x20 again? Do I go back to 45 3x25? Or do I give it a week and start over? Thanks.

I've been working through the Starr rehab, fairly slowly because of the pop during the last attempt and some work stuff that's been interfering. I'm still doing 25s, but I've found that I can deadlift without any discomfort. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'd like to be moving some heavy weights if possible, but I don't want to set back the groin rehab. Is doing deadlifts with this injury just stupid?

Don't take a week off, just keep on going with your rehab. Start off with 45x20, see how that feels, then maybe try 65x20, 85x20, 95x20, depending on how each set feels. I wonder if there is a technique issue that is responsible for all of this... might be a good time for a video.

Deadlifts should be fine if they don't hurt. Just make sure you are using the correct stance, in which the feet are close together.

starting strength coach development program
    If deadlifts dont hurt but squats do, then yes its probably muscle belly and not tendon. I've had a rugby injury that was tendon only and no muscle, couldnt deadlift. That said, the starr rehab says to do no other heavy lifting while youre doing the rehab so that all resources (food, sleep, etc) can go towards the healing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast