starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrist pain .. flares up to ~5.5/6

Default Wrist pain .. flares up to ~5.5/6

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    It tends to happen when the elbow is flexed, no problem at all with grips or presses. But for a while before I figured out the squat grip, it occasionally got severe enough that predominantly felt relief in the (left) wrist when I racked it. It flares up whenever I have any sort of load at all on my wrist. It is on the part of the wrist next to the top side of the hand.

I ran into the same problem trying to clean just now. First time ever, just watching the YouTube demo, and it hurts more the more horizontal I try to bring my elbows.

It is very possibly just a muscular weakness, I am very thin around the wrist joints compared to the rest of my frame. I can touch my thumb to my pinky around it. But it is a pretty persistent problem any time there is any load bearing whatsoever when my elbow is flexed seemingly any more than a bench press. Indeed it almost seems like pressing gets rid of the pain.

Right now, I feel pain when I fold my wrist forward towards the inside of my forearm. Like it is enflamed.

Is it work it to get one of those goofy weighted handheld grip squeeze things to add to my routine? I do have a very skinny wrist.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with a problem like this. I take full responsibility for my own well being regarding this or anything else.

I have read this twice and I still don't know that I understand what is hurting, where, or why. However, in general, when you are hurting, stop doing things that make it worse. Give it as much work as you can. If it resolves on its own, welcome to weird things with your body. If it continues to get worse, get a diagnosis. Hands are very complicated structures. I cannot tell you much about your issue from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I have read this twice and I still don't know that I understand what is hurting, where, or why. However, in general, when you are hurting, stop doing things that make it worse. Give it as much work as you can. If it resolves on its own, welcome to weird things with your body. If it continues to get worse, get a diagnosis. Hands are very complicated structures. I cannot tell you much about your issue from here.
    The pain occurs on the outside edge of the extensor side of my wrist, usually when bearing a load that bends my wrist into extension. It used to hurt a lot when my squat grip was worse, and not it hurts a lot when I clean. So I just snatch now.

Not everyone can rack a clean. Without video, I cannot say a lot more. If snatching does not bother you, you have your answer for now. Just snatch. If you power snatch 100 kg, I will buy you a Coke Zero.

If I snatch 50kg can I get a Mr Pibb?

Quote Originally Posted by cfreetenor View Post
    If I snatch 50kg can I get a Mr Pibb?
    This offer is only good for 100 kg. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited.

My wrist pain is gone btw.

This pleases me and illustrates a useful point. Sometimes things will hurt. Making small changes can resolve the pain and sometimes the pain resolves on its own for reasons that are entirely unclear. All we can do is sip our Coke Zeroes and enjoy the ride.

I like the monster sunrise.

I agree though. My back kept throwing out after Wednesday's workout. Still added to all my lifts and it's much better today. Also I noticed better hip position while standing keeps the pain at bay.

starting strength coach development program
    Also just to note, I've had this wrist pain just from doing push-ups for years. So it didn't start with the program, it ended with it.

Now if only my shoulders would let me go in hot on the squats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast