starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accessories: Zercher Squat and Hex Bar Deadlift

Default Accessories: Zercher Squat and Hex Bar Deadlift

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi all. I am kicking around the idea of using some zercher squats and hex bar deadlifts as accessories. I don't compete in powerlifting but I have decent #'s and I am an intermediate in deadlift/squat and late intermediate in bench press.

All this to ask, does anyone have experience programming these two lifts? What would they best be accessories for? Hex bar probably allows for heavier loads but is more like a squat. I don't have any experience with zercher but I imagine it stresses the quads more. Anyone have any experiences they would like to share with these two movements?

I don't have any experience in these lifts, but what are your current numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    Hi all. I am kicking around the idea of using some zercher squats and hex bar deadlifts as accessories. I don't compete in powerlifting but I have decent #'s and I am an intermediate in deadlift/squat and late intermediate in bench press.

All this to ask, does anyone have experience programming these two lifts? What would they best be accessories for? Hex bar probably allows for heavier loads but is more like a squat. I don't have any experience with zercher but I imagine it stresses the quads more. Anyone have any experiences they would like to share with these two movements?
    This is kinda like walking around with a crescent wrench being like "show me some shit I can do with this fucker".

I have lots of experience programming with a hex bar, none with zercher squats.

Are you just looking for variety? Any specific goals?

The Zercher Squat is my favorite Deadlift assistance exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    This is kinda like walking around with a crescent wrench being like "show me some shit I can do with this fucker".
    Beautifully put! They only real time I have used a hex bar is for improvised farmers walks. But as far as zercher squats, what is the difference between them and front squats as far as what is worked?

I just stole this. So stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    I don't have any experience in these lifts, but what are your current numbers?
    Bench - 365
    Press - 215
    Squat - 450
    DL - 500

My deadlift has been stuck for a very, very long time so that is part of this exploration phase.

I have lots of experience programming with a hex bar, none with zercher squats.

Are you just looking for variety? Any specific goals?
    Haha - well put. I just have enjoyed success on my primary 3 lifts by doing linear periodization on my press,dips,front squat, deficit dead, and incline dumbell while doing other types of programming for the main lifts. Consequently I wanted to give some other compound assistance lifts a go. And also for the hell of it. I don' really know what muscles they stress/what lifts they would have carryover to so I don't know how to program them.

As far as specific goals go - my BP is fine, sq is going up slowly but deadlift has been stalled for a very long time. I think my main goal is to get my DL going again.I consider myself an intermediate on DL because I do believe I could progress weekly if I added in some more volume or accessories. I haven't decided on what yet. My programming for DL up to this point has been pull 1x5 a week and try to go up every week.
    Last edited by silachoo; 12-02-2016 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    The Zercher Squat is my favorite Deadlift assistance exercise.
    How often do you use it? What type of %'s of your deadlift or squat do you use?

How often do you use it? What type of %'s of your deadlift or squat do you use?
    It varies, this week I did 5 doubles off a 14" Box. I also like to do them from a bottom position in the power rack. I've done 335X2 with the bar 26" from the floor.
    Start light, your arms will thank you.

starting strength coach development program
    Bench - 365
    Press - 215
    Squat - 450
    DL - 500

My deadlift has been stuck for a very, very long time so that is part of this exploration phase.

Haha - well put. I just have enjoyed success on my primary 3 lifts by doing linear periodization on my press,dips,front squat, deficit dead, and incline dumbell while doing other types of programming for the main lifts. Consequently I wanted to give some other compound assistance lifts a go. And also for the hell of it. I don' really know what muscles they stress/what lifts they would have carryover to so I don't know how to program them.

As far as specific goals go - my BP is fine, sq is going up slowly but deadlift has been stalled for a very long time. I think my main goal is to get my DL going again.I consider myself an intermediate on DL because I do believe I could progress weekly if I added in some more volume or accessories. I haven't decided on what yet. My programming for DL up to this point has been pull 1x5 a week and try to go up every week.
    To start, lay out you primary, secondary, & tertius [sic] squats & pulls.

Maybe

Pulls:
    1. Conv dead
    2. Hex bar dead
    3. RDL

Squats
    1. Lbbs
    2. Zercher?
    3. Front squat? Split squat?

Then piece together your week/cycle by pairing high-fatigue pulls with low-fatigue squats (& vice versa).

Day 1
    Squat Primary
    Pull Tertius (light)

Day 3/4
    Pull Secondary
    Squat Tertius

Day 5/6
    Pull Primary
    Squat secondary

Actual reps sets is your deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast