Thread: Another Thankyou x 2

Default Another Thankyou x 2

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mr Rippetoe
    Thank-you.

For two things:
    I managed to get my Partner into a gym last about a month ago for the first time without a near divorce.
    She, being extremely well endowed compared to the rest of her.. is front heavy.
    As such she had never squatted successfully and that includes a bodyweight squat. For months I tried to teach the movement to her, but her fear of literally falling on her face was the one and only thing stopping her.

On another side, during her late teens she was contracted three viruses consecutively: glandular fever, ross river fever, barma forest fever.
    She has an extremely weak immune system, and is easily EXHAUSTED by too much of everyday things - standing, cooking, walking etc.

Well, a bit less than a month in... and with 110lbs+ on her back things are changing.
    - she can hold her arms above her head to do her own hair
    - she has the strength to not end up with sore joints from bad leading at Salsa/Tango class
    - her shoulders have less hyper-mobility and have stopped subluxing under small everyday loads like shopping bags

Small things like this may sound like nothing, but they are huge for someone who hasn't been able to do them for years, or ever.
    And the heavier her squat gets, the easier it gets for her at the moment... she's never experienced such a difference in her Centre of Mass.

The second thing?

12+ Months Ago I had a fracture to my hand that my countries best hand-surgeon said would never get above around 70% function back: strength, ROM and co-ordination.
    You, and other members of this board encouraged me to start barbell training earlier than he and his cohort advise and the result is I WILL be able return to my industry albeit with a different approach.

"Eating Through the Sticky Points" got me able to chin-up for reps for the first time since my surgery, I was stuck at one or two reps for months (and I'd always been able to do chin-ups for 15+ reps).
    I can now do 8+ reps and that number is steadily rising despite my bodyweight having already crept up 25lbs+ this month.

Here is a video of my latest dead-lift workout at 275lbs; I hoped you could help me with my form so that I can know what I coach is correct... so both my partner and my quality of life can keep improving.

The bar is in the air over your thighs between your knees and lockout. Squeeze your chest up more before you start and keep the bar on your legs.

I think I speak for all of us here when I say that we were hoping to see a video of your Partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The bar is in the air over your thighs between your knees and lockout. Squeeze your chest up more before you start and keep the bar on your legs.

I think I speak for all of us here when I say that we were hoping to see a video of your Partner.
    You are correct, sir.

The videos exist, her permission doesn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Gold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4bjNTnyydo

185lbs, and (hopefully) with the correct chest position to start.

I've had little to no sleep and been working 12hr days, and haven't been getting regular meals... but this felt HEAVY.
    Far too heavy for only 10lbs since the last video

I went too deep on my squats on this workout (they just hit 220lbs again) and my erectors were really tired...

Well I forgot my belt so borrowed a shit tapered one for my DL work-set.

I've always been aware they were a terrible concept, but had never used one of these belts...the pull felt stronger on the last rep when I got rid of the stupid bloody thing.

Anyhow, how's the revised technique? I'll post a video of one of the warmup sets @ 220lbs

These look better. In general, a work set of 5 that takes 2:30 to complete should probably be approached differently.

starting strength coach development program
    Missed the typo on the long set, 285lbs not 185lbs.

I'll shoot for 290lbs later in the week with the revised form... But much more sleep/food and less time eyeballing the bar.

Your patience is appreciated.

Can I post one last video for a check before going away to train for a few months?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast