starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitness Tests in the Military

Default Fitness Tests in the Military

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    There has been a number of discussions on this board regarding the Army Physical Fitness Test and the Marine Corps Physcial Fitness Test. Many of these discussions have revolved around the various services' chosen Physical Fitness Test (PFT) to accurately test for combat readiness. There have been a few articles posted by senior officers in the army regarding strength and army standards.

Some discussions have been around whether or not the Army PFT and USMC PFT is an effective measurement of combat readiness tool.

To bring better understanding to the members of the board, here is a little information on why the services do what they do.

There is a DoD Directive 1308.1 DoD Physical Fitness and Body Fat program found here: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/130801p.pdf that provides guidance for the services on the subject. DoD Instruction 1308.2 Joint DoD Committee on Fitness is found here: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/130802p.pdf. DoD Instruction 1308.3 DoD Fitness and Body Fat Programs Procedures is found here: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/130801p.pdf

Bottom line:

The services are excuting DoD policy. The PFT's are markers for a basic level of fitness as defined by the DoD that ensure a base ability, not COMBAT readinesss. Combat prep happens at the unit itself.

NO UNIT DEPOYING TO COMBAT RUNS A PFT, CALLS IT GOOD, AND SHIPS OFF.

The PFT is run annually (or semi annually) to ensure a BASIC LEVEL OF FITNESS as defined by the DoD.

To the documents. The Directive 1308.1 provides Policy for all services:
    Service members shall maintain physical readiness through appropriate nutrition, health, and fitness habits. Aerobic capacity, muscular strength, muscular endurance, and desirable body fat composition, form the basis for the DoD Physical Fitness and Body Fat Program.
    It further defines Physical Fitness as:

The Military Services shall design physical fitness training and related physical activities consistent with established scientific principles of physical conditioning that enhance fitness and general health essential to combat readiness. Individual Service members must possess the cardio-respiratory endurance, muscular strength and muscular endurance, together with desirable levels of body composition to successfully perform in accordance with their Service-specific mission and military specialty.
    Emphasis mine. It does not state that this is the pinnacle of combat readiness, it merely states that it is fitness and general health essential to combat readiness.

It further states:

Service members whose duties require muscular and cardio-respiratory endurance may be hampered in performing their duties when body fat exceeds 26 percent in males and 36 percent in females.
    I my words, being > 26% BF is too frigging fat for a male, and > 36+% is too frigging fat for a female. I doubt anyone will argue that these are indeed, too fat.

The first enclosure to this Directive defines terms. Of interest:

Muscular Endurance. The ability of a skeletal muscle or group of muscles to perform repeated contractions for an extended period of time. It is measured as the number of submaximal contractions performed or submaximal sustained contraction time. Most of the practical "strength" tests (e.g., push-ups and sit-ups) are measures of muscular endurance.
    and

Muscular Strength. The maximal force that can be exerted in a single voluntary contraction of a skeletal muscle or skeletal muscle group. The simplest measure of strength involves various one-repetition maximum weight-lifting test (the heaviest weight that can be lifted only once). Although tests such as push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups measure primarily muscular endurance, there is a physiological continuum where individuals who can perform only a few repetitions of a test are completing a strength test. Thus, the pull-up, for which many individuals can complete only a few repetitions, is closer to a true strength test than push-ups.
    I found this interesting, this leaves the door open for the services to perform a 1RM of a given exercise (e.g. the squat or the deadlift), but then goes on to state the pull up is better for true strength than push ups and sit ups. Regardless, all examples are without the use of weights.

My opinion: This is likely due to the limitations often imposed upon the servies when operating in austere environments. Those that have deployed know that we take our PFT's when deployed. For those that are in disbelief due to lack of personal experience, I'm not talking about running a 3 Mile run for time in the middle of Fallujah.

Finally, physical fitness is defined:

Physical Fitness. The capacity to perform physical exercise, consisting of the components of aerobic capacity, muscular strength, and muscular endurance in conjunction with body fat content within an optimal range.
    And lastly Training Effect is thrown in for completeness:

Training Effect. The physiological response to exercise (physical training) when conducted with sufficient regularity, intensity, and duration. The response may include improved efficiency of the cardio-respiratory system and/or increased muscular strength/endurance. An aerobic training effect typically requires exercise training conducted a minimum of three times weekly (preferably on alternate days) for 20 to 30 minutes that raises the Service member's heart rate to a level representing 60 to 90 percent of the medically accepted maximum heart rate for his or her age. A training effect for muscular strength and endurance typically requires repeated bouts of high intensity exercise training of relatively short duration.
    Now we move to DoD Directive 1808.2. It would seem that the purpose of this document to to create an interservice committee to discuss physical fitness and provide a forum through which ideas can be exchanged.

In this document Fitness is defined as:

Fitness. The ability of Service members to meet the physical demands of their jobs for an extended period of time and to have the additional ability of meeting physical emergencies, such as those imposed during combat or other stressful situations. The components of fitness generally are considered to be aerobic fitness (heart and lungs), muscular fitness (muscle strength and endurance), flexibility, body composition (fat versus muscles), and weight management.
    Emphasis mine. Again, the physical fitness is a baseline ability.

The policy:

It is DoD policy that physical fitness is a vital component of combat readiness and is essential to the general health and well being for Armed Forces personnel. Individual Service members must possess the aerobic capacity, muscular strength and endurance, and whole body flexibility to successfully perform in accordance with their Service-specific mission and military specialty. These qualities, as well as balance, agility, and explosive power, together with body composition within an optimal range, form the basis of the DoD Physical Fitness and Body Fat Program.
    Emphasis mine.

Finally, we move to DoD Instruction 1308.3 which provides the procedures for the implemention of the Directive 1308.1.

Objectives. The Military Services shall design physical fitness training
    and related physical activities that enhance fitness and general health/injury prevention to promote combat readiness.
    Emphasis mine. Here we are talking about having a service of reasonably fit folks. This prevents the, "Uh, hey boys, time to go to war, put down your twinkies, we need to PT now because we can't get into our combat utilities" syndrome. It's not for the purpose of being able to kick someones teeth in, TODAY. We have other programs for that.

Military Services shall extend their physical fitness programs to
    incorporate occupational-specific physical fitness requirements for those career fields
    where it is deemed necessary to ensure adequate skill, performance, and safety. This extension shall include identifying each specific physical capability needed by the
    occupational specialties.
    Emphasis mine.

Way down in the enclusure we find:

Body Mass Index. A mathematical expression that describes the normal proportions between weight and height. For example, two individuals of different heights, 5'6" and 6'2", would have comparable "skinny" proportions (i.e., the same low body mass index of 19 (kg/m2 ) at 117 and 148 pounds, or "heavy" proportions (the same high body mass index of 27.5 (kg/m2 ) at 170 and 214 pounds, respectively. Body mass index is calculated as weight (in kilograms) divided by the square of height (in meters); the equation for use with English units is BMI=704.5 x wt/ht2 where wt is in lbs and ht in inches.
    Further down we find how the weight standards were derived. I'm 75", so I get 220lbs based on the above calculation. The above calculation considers "normal" proportions, anything outside of that needs to be verified as within standards by not exceeding the body fat percentages defined elsewhere.

My opinion: The services have it more or less right. It could be better, but that is left to the DoD, not the individual services.

Combat preparation happens at the unit level. General fitness is measured/maintained to ensure a level of readiness. That level of readiness is measured by a given services' PFT of choice, to ensure a level of readiness suitable to that service.

I think the Corps does a better job than the others by using the pull up as a marker, I know that the units do an exceptional job of preparing prior to deployment. Can it better? Yes. Are we working on it? Yes.

Thanks Mac. This clears up some misconceptions.

Love seeing some logic. I think a lot of people don't understand that while a 5 mile run isn't generally something needed in combat, the conditioning of being able to run 5 miles effectively makes it easier going from day to day life under stressful conditions. The actual abilities for combat, as you have shown, come from the training that is not written out for everyone to see, and it isn't what is generally talked about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    I think the Corps does a better job than the others by using the pull up as a marker, I know that the units do an exceptional job of preparing prior to deployment. Can it better? Yes. Are we working on it? Yes.
    I found it interesting that you believe the units do an exceptional job of preparing prior to deployment. I never deployed with a ground combat unit, and they probably do a much better job than those of us in the Wing. However, before my squadron deployed, our focus shifted towards taking care of all of the administrative requirements associated with deployment and turning wrenches. Specifically, during the two months immediately preceding my last deployment, we adopted 12 on 12 off scheduling, and my squadron leadership specifically forbade PTing during working hours. Further, in my first tour, my squadron never once had organized PT other than SNCO PT organized by the SgtMaj and the Wing wide birthday moto run, and specific shops were actively discouraged from conducting shop PT, because it interfered with repairing aircraft. Do our experiences differ?

Bottom line:

The PFT's are markers for a basic level of fitness as defined by the DoD that ensure a base ability, not COMBAT readinesss.
    I think the quote above is worth repeating. PFT's are the minimum standard for fitness in the military.

However, I'll go a step further. In my opinion, the Marines do the best job of the services in being a step ahead. The Marines have added the Combat PFT. The reason this test was added was that you can have people with a perfect PFT score who are useless in situations that don't require a 3-mile run, pullups, pushups, and situps.

Generally, the problem with fitness testing is the test itself. People will only train the activities required to pass. Most people don't train for GPP and then get measured by a test that uses running and bodyweight exercises. Most people just show up at the gym, run a little, do some pushups, and go home. It's called training the test. I left an Air Force unit that had an average score of 92. It was full of 160lb males who were afraid of squats, would struggle with 95 lbs on the bench press, and couldn't do 3 strict pullups, but they were great at running, pushups, situps, and always got high test scores. This wasn't a combat unit either so they didn't have to do more than the minimum and they wouldn't even if you asked.

Bottom line:

The PFT's are markers for a basic level of fitness as defined by the DoD that ensure a base ability, not COMBAT readinesss.
    I think the quote above is worth repeating. PFT's are the minimum standard for fitness in the military.

I'll go a step further. In my opinion, the Marines do the best job of the services in being a step ahead. The Marines have added the Combat PFT. The reason this test was added was that you can have people with a perfect PFT score who are useless in combat situations that don't require a 3-mile run, pullups, pushups, and situps.

Generally, the problem with fitness testing is the test itself. People will only train the activities required to pass. Most people don't train for GPP and then get measured by the test. They show up at the gym, run a little, do some pushups, and go home. It's called training the test. I left an Air Force unit that had an average score of 92. It was full of skinny weak 160lb males who were afraid of squats, would struggle with 95 lbs on the bench press, and couldn't do 3 strict pullups, but they were great at running, pushups, situps, and always got high test scores. This wasn't a combat unit either so they didn't have to do more than the minimum and they wouldn't even if you asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Park View Post
    I found it interesting that you believe the units do an exceptional job of preparing prior to deployment. I never deployed with a ground combat unit, and they probably do a much better job than those of us in the Wing. However, before my squadron deployed, our focus shifted towards taking care of all of the administrative requirements associated with deployment and turning wrenches. Specifically, during the two months immediately preceding my last deployment, we adopted 12 on 12 off scheduling, and my squadron leadership specifically forbade PTing during working hours. Further, in my first tour, my squadron never once had organized PT other than SNCO PT organized by the SgtMaj and the Wing wide birthday moto run, and specific shops were actively discouraged from conducting shop PT, because it interfered with repairing aircraft. Do our experiences differ?
    Our experiences do not differ, in fact you help to make my point. All those administrative requirements, are just that, requirements. They give as much angst to the leadership as they do to the folks fighting in the trenches, so to speak.

The time before deployment is far more stressful than the time away. We want to go home, we want to spend time with our families, because we are getting ready to leave for a long time, but we have so much stuff that must get done we are unable to take time off before leaving.

With regard to turning wrenches, your squadron was doing its pre-deployment training. How many quals were made for the pilots and aircrew? How many CDI's, QA, QAR's, and other quals were earned by the maintainers? The unit has to have a requisite number of quals to ensure that while deployed it can accomplish the mission, and that happens during pre-deployment training. Trips to 29 Palms, to the boat, wherever, and it all happens when we want to spend time at home before deploying.

Did you need to go roll around in the mud? No, you needed to get aircraft together, ready to fly, so that the unit would be ready to deploy, fight, win, and redeploy back the States.

I can't speak to what your shop heads, Department Heads, or whomever decreed at the time, but the mission dictates our actions, and if PT was determined to be second to repairing aircraft during maintenance hours during work ups, then so be it. Again, I believe the USMC does an exceptional job of getting units ready to win. The alternative is unacceptable, and costly.

I'm the first to admit the Wing doesn't PT like the Division. I'll even add that the folks that fix the aircraft are unsung heroes. Lots of pictures of tired, bloody Marines with broken K-bars and bayonets. I've never seen a moto picture of a tired plane mechanic with his broken Snap On tool, working late into the night so that some snot nosed pilot can take it out, break it, and bring it back!

Of course the services are executing DoD policy. That doesn't mean it's a good policy, or that they are doing it well. My experience is completely different than yours in that I find that the combat prep at the units is a huge deficiency. The APFT has become the only thing that matters in the minds of most of those who plan and execute PT in units on a daily basis. It's important for promotion so who wouldn't train for the test? The APFT can be about mimimum standards of fitness, but unit PT needs to be about performance, as you said "winning". If the two don't mix, something is broken. I suggest they Army fix the test so that effective training for combat at the unit level with result in a good score on the test.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanWhittemore View Post
    Of course the services are executing DoD policy. That doesn't mean it's a good policy, or that they are doing it well. My experience is completely different than yours in that I find that the combat prep at the units is a huge deficiency. The APFT has become the only thing that matters in the minds of most of those who plan and execute PT in units on a daily basis. It's important for promotion so who wouldn't train for the test? The APFT can be about mimimum standards of fitness, but unit PT needs to be about performance, as you said "winning". If the two don't mix, something is broken. I suggest they Army fix the test so that effective training for combat at the unit level with result in a good score on the test.
    Our unit PT is nothing like the PFT. We swim, run, do circuit style exercises with free weights, navigate obstacle course, practice martial arts training, and have field meets. Ground units go on forced marches, obstacle courses, martial arts, run, work with weights, do buddy exercises and the like.

It ain't perfect, there is always room for improvement.

My point was more to the fact that the DoD sets this policy that we are left to follow. When I spoke with THEM at HQ USMC earlier this week, it was made very clear to me that the PFT and CFT are not the marker for combat readiness. They were the minimum for physical fitness standards as defined by the DoD to remain in the USMC.

starting strength coach development program
    DOD intent, and service branch implementation and execution are two different things. And I'm sure we can all agree that when combat readiness is left to the unit, results can be highly variable. With Marines and Army units like the 82nd claiming to be global contingency forces, wouldn't it make sense to maintain combat readiness throughout the year? If so, why not adopt a test, at minimum for those contingency forces, that tests combat readiness and adds in some consistency across units? In that case, the classic PFT would be irrelevant and unnecessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast