starting strength gym

Thread: Another Squat / Knee Pain Question

Default Another Squat / Knee Pain Question

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Coach Rip,

My knees are sore most of the time now -- not an excruciating pain -- more like a 4 or a 5 on a scale from 1-10, but I feel it pretty much every time I get up out of a chair, and I feel it when I squat the bar on warm-up sets too. Before posting here, I searched the knee pain threads on this site, and reread the section on squatting in SS: BBT3. My takeaways were:

- Try not to have the knees go too far forward on the squat -- sit my ass back instead.

- Keep the feet pointed out 30 degrees, and shove the knees out in the same direction as the toes are pointed.

So I tried to focus on doing that in the gym on Monday. I also started taking glucosamine to be on the safe side, though my soreness might not be related to the joints. I'll recap my stats then post a video of me squatting.

Here's a quick update of my training status, etc.:

- Age, Gender, current training status (new to training, experienced lifter, elite competitor, etc.)

42, 5'9", 255lbs, Male, started Starting Strength in mid-October, but costal cartilage injury at end of November kept me from benching or pulling for about a month (followed your advice on that one -- thanks again for that -- and it healed as you said it would).

Work sets at beginning of program:

Squat: 3 x 5 at 135lbs
    Press: 3 x 5 at 95lbs
    Dead Lift 1 x 5 at 185lbs
    Bench: 3 x 5 at 185lbs

Work sets at time of costal cartilage injury:

Squat: 3 x 5 at 225lbs
    Press: 3 x 5 at 115lbs
    Dead Lift 1 x 5 at 250lbs
    Bench: 3 x 5 at 210lbs
    Back extensions: 3 x 5 w/ 10lbs
    Chin-ups: weight-assisted with -78lbs.
    Power Snatch: 5 x 2 at 55lbs

Work sets now:

Squat: 3 x 5 at 270lbs
    Press: 3 x 5 at 127.5lbs
    Bench: 3 x 5 at 215lbs
    Dead Lift: 1 x 5 at 265lbs
    Power Snatch: 5 x 2 at 80lbs
    Chin-up: 3 x 5, weight-assisted with -57lbs
    Back Extensions: 3 x 5 with 45lbs

A couple of notes on the video:

- I'm using the high bar position, because my shoulders aren't flexible enough for the low bar position.

- Wrong shoes, I know. I bought lifting shoes, but they haven't arrived in the mail yet.

Question: anything I can do differently that would reduce my knee soreness (aside from losing weight, which I plan to work on after I get through the SS novice phase)?

You're going to have to learn how to squat correctly. We have provided the resources for you to use. You are still leg pressing the bar. It may be necessary for you to get a coach. Where do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're going to have to learn how to squat correctly. We have provided the resources for you to use. You are still leg pressing the bar. It may be necessary for you to get a coach. Where do you live?
    Hackensack, NJ. Was thinking of going to your NYC seminar, but looks like it's sold out now.

There are several SSCs in the area. Look them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There are several SSCs in the area. Look them up.
    OK, just emailed one.