starting strength gym

Thread: power clean help please

Default power clean help please

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Ok I will try to explain this....when I set up for power cleans does the back have to be in extension or at least almost perfect extension.. I have heard you are supposed to drop your butt low but doing this means my back comes out of extension but if I try to go.higher with the butt I really cannot keep it in extensio either ...some coaches say that dropping the butt eliminates the need for extension but I am.not sure...if you need a video I will be glad to put one up

Have you read my book Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training 3rd edition? This and many other questions are dealt with therein.

like 5 times the power clean section..whatched the videos.. I've tried cleaning that way it just does not work for whatever reason... here is a "heavy set" and then i did a backoff set so you could see technique...i understand pretty well the technique you are teaching but if I try to bring the bar up to my middle thigh I simply cannot generate enough power. I have tried some hang cleans from the mid thigh and I really cannot do any significant weight from mid thigh I end up having to drop it to a little above the knee. I have long ass femurs although I am not sure if this changes anything? I will say all of the other lifts are going well stats are 5'9.5" 190 18%bf sets of 5 squats 375 bench 245 press 175 deadlift 455 after hashing out my form with the coaches on here I was finally able to get my squat right if you remember I posted a squat form check quite some time ago and it was atrocious.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRc20...ature=youtu.be
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWSeZ...ature=youtu.be

You have a terrible arm pull, and you need a coach.

Op, you never really fully extend. That's why you aren't generating power from the hang. Here's a screenshot. This is the top of your clean...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361804009.122669.jpg

I don't have much experience coaching the clean. But I suspect lack of extension often accompanies arm pulling, and fixing the extension would go a long way in addressing the arm pull. You should look like a diver at the top; fully extended, toes pointed and all, with your arms lax and the bar reacting to the explosion that extended your body.