starting strength gym

Thread: Recovery From HIIT and LISS for the Elderly

Default Recovery From HIIT and LISS for the Elderly

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm curious if any SSC's have noticed a difference in the ability to recover from conditioning in the elderly from HIIT compared to LISS.

Earlier this year I was lifting three times a week and using HIIT twice a week pretty much as Jordan recommends. That HIIT being 7 rounds of 20 on 120 off with a warmup and cooldown.

I got overtrained and took some time off to recover, then switching to lifting twice a week and using LISS 4 times a week in between lifting sessions.

I'm about to turn 67 and was wondering if this is response to HIIT is an an individual one, or one that is more common among my age group.

I'd appreciate anyone's observations.

Interval training can be quite stressful and needs to be dosed accordingly. Longer duration cardio work can also tap into recovery and the metabolic demands differ quite a bit from lifting. Are you sure it was just the intervals and not the combination of the lifting and the HIIT? Also, the word "overtraining" should be used with some care. Very few people can actually push themselves hard enough to become genuinely overtrained.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Interval training can be quite stressful and needs to be dosed accordingly. Longer duration cardio work can also tap into recovery and the metabolic demands differ quite a bit from lifting.
    Yeah, I began to slightly dread the HIIT routines after a couple of months. As for the LISS, I started at 30 minutes and have worked into the 40+ range. I've made a few goofs on that with some longer than intended hikes. I've also discovered that riding my Harley gets me into the 65% of MHR range too. So, having some fun, along with conditioning into the mix.

Are you sure it was just the intervals and not the combination of the lifting and the HIIT?
    A good point to raise. I neglected to mention I was lifting 3 times a week with 3 sets of 5 on Week 1, 5 sets of 3 on Week 2, working into 4-6 sets of singles on Week 3, and a deload on Week 4. Now, I am sticking with 3 sets of 5 on an A, B, and C routine with fewer singles every 6-8 weeks. Nothing spectacular or terribly different on the A and B sessions, but the C session consists of push presses, high pulls, and cable rotations done as explosively as I can. I decided to switch up from master's powerlifting to the Highland Games. I figgered with a name like Hurling I had an edge.

Also, the word "overtraining" should be used with some care. Very few people can actually push themselves hard enough to become genuinely overtrained.
    Also a fair point. I was almost certainly hearkening back to old HIT days with that assessment. What with recovery and inroads to recovery, etc.

Thank you Tom.

I don't have any great insights here besides the stock "make sure application of stress does not exceed your ability to recover." There is certainly nothing wrong with sifting some low intensity cardio into your training. If you took to running long distances several times a week, that would probably start to cut in to your lifts. HIIT is great, although I feel like for most people it should be done to the point that they pleasantly dismayed rather than to where they are hurting badly. Have fun with the Highland Games. I always thought the caber toss was pretty cool.

Have fun with the Highland Games. I always thought the caber toss was pretty cool.
    Now the eclipse has passed through for the next 7 years, a local venue called Walker's Bluff will be having the Irish Festival in early October. I have an email in to the point of contact for it. I watched it last year and they didn't contest the caber. The sheave toss yes though.

But I AM looking forward to getting out on the pitch with the lads and enjoying a wee dram for self medication in the recovery period.