starting strength gym

Thread: Jelly Arms after Squats

Default Jelly Arms after Squats

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach,

Yesterday after my 280x5x3 squat sets (still chugging right along), I had a very strange occurrence while warming up the press. The 75 lbs x5 set felt absolutely obnoxiously heavy for what it was. It was only this set (others were fine)but it felt like my triceps and shoulders were gassed. It was substantial enough that Niki noticed and asked about what I was feeling on that set. Of note is that my work set weight for the press is 127.5 (also chugging right along) without any grinding.

Miscellaneous Stats that probably won't change your answer:
    Height: A bit shy of 5'10"
    Weight: 206 lbs (up from 183 in mid June and still increasing)

Just wondering if you've ever heard of anything like this occurring. I didn't experience any tingling/pin-pricks and suspect that it is simply an ATP/energy pathway recovery thing that I shouldn't be concerned about. I don't know why it would have only started at 280 though.

I suspect Hepatitis A. The only solution is to power wash your apartment with diluted bleach. See here for more:

To curb outbreak, San Diego will power wash ?fecally contaminated? city | Ars Technica

I stripped all of the paint off of my apartment walls, removed the dry wall sections and sanitized both the dry wall and interior structural work with a 1:5 ratio of household bleach and water pumped through a fire truck. Should I also hotbox my house with a large-scale mixture of bleach and ammonia to kill any remnants? Would drinking bleach be ill-advised?

P.S. I appreciate your sarcastic way of indicating that this is beyond normal.

Nuke it from orbit. It is the only way to be sure.

Dalton, I think Tom's right on in saying it's normal, common, expected, and also you're probably dying of super-AIDS from the future times twenty.

But I think I know what you're talking about and I'll just suggest that poor LBBS form, especially with respect to arm, wrist, and upper back position frequently results in the oft-discussed elbow pain, but also an extreme total arm fatigue like you're describing. It seems like some fairly subtle problems there can put a lot of strain on the arms--I was especially feeling it deep in the upper arm--not acute pain, but extreme fatigue that would ruin me for pressing afterwards. I'm finally seeing some progress in addressing this myself, but just go see all the usual books, coaches, and articles from SS to see if this might be the case for you.

Before we get into overanalysis, having your arms feel strange on one warmup during the presses could be chalked up to all kinds of things and truly does not merit any concern. If his arms started feeling badly and got worse over a few workouts and were negatively impacting other things, then it might be time to do something such as adjusting the grip. As it stands now, Hep A is definitely the diagnosis.

starting strength coach development program
    I defer to your judgement in all fecal matters.