starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift - back unlocking?

Default Deadlift - back unlocking?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello again, video first: http://1drv.ms/U5tMV6

Basically my question is the title: does my back round too much? I'd say it flexes but I was told that my picture of lumbar flexion is wrong. However I think this looks pretty bad. Time for a deload..? The camera is a bit close but that's because the room is narrow.

Thanks!

It unlocks a little, not badly. But it's problematic because it appears you don't really know how to set your back hard in the first place. If it's unlocking at this weight, it'll fold like a cheap deck of cards when things get heavy. I can't comment thoroughly on the entire DL because the perspective is just too close to really see. But you do need to learn to squeeze up fully and tighter, and squeeze the bar off the floor. You're kind of jerking it off the floor the first couple reps.

you're kind of jerking it off
    qft.

Thanks for the responses, I see what you mean. Searching the forums for cure for the same issue and cues to squeeze tighter. I'll practice that tomorrow. The jerking thing was something I realised too after watching the vid several times. I think that's due to me thinking the aggression of powerlifters before their pulls, I try to mimic that excessively. As a novice, I'll try to keep more calm next time and really just squeeze. When I think I get it right, I'll keep you updated. I will keep the weight same for at least one WO and see if I can do it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    qft.

Quote Originally Posted by julkke View Post
    Thanks for the responses, I see what you mean. Searching the forums for cure for the same issue and cues to squeeze tighter. I'll practice that tomorrow. The jerking thing was something I realised too after watching the vid several times. I think that's due to me thinking the aggression of powerlifters before their pulls, I try to mimic that excessively. As a novice, I'll try to keep more calm next time and really just squeeze. When I think I get it right, I'll keep you updated. I will keep the weight same for at least one WO and see if I can do it correctly.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=38978

These should be better: http://1drv.ms/1nnsATN

I took some weight off and now I feel I got the squeezing correctly. On the last rep there's small bit of unlocking but that was because my grip was slipping a little. Just want a coach to confirm, safe to keep going with form like this?

We can never guarantee you safety; sometimes shit happens even with perfect form. But in terms of if you're doing what you need to do on your end to reduce risk, ya, these are definitely better. Your squeeze up is more definitive and solid. If your grip is slipping, you should start using chalk, and switch to a hook grip or alternating grip for the work set(s) when the double OH grip becomes too difficult to hold on to.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks coach, I'll keep at it and report back after some more weight gain and progress.