starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Belts Supposed to Suck When They're New?

Default Are Belts Supposed to Suck When They're New?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I got my new 3 inch Best Belt yesterday. I worked it for ~45 mins then went to the gym. I used it for my work sets for squats first. The dam thing felt like it was going to break my ribs. I adjusted it, the metal buckle bruised my thigh. I put it around my navel, it just sucked. I worked it for another 10 minutes using the metal squat rack frame. I twisted it one way, then the other. I tried it again. It hurt worse than the squats did. I worked it again for 10 minutes on the squat rack. Used it for heavy deads. It just felt like it was in the way and dug into my ribs. However, i did set a PR of 11 reps of 315. My previous record was 8. I'm not sure this was the belt though, as it felt more like a hindrance than a crutch.

So, either my body is just too pussy-ish to use a belt or belts bet much better as they break in.

Anyone else find a belt as counter-productive? I had such high hopes for the belt when I read all the reviews, especially from the inzer and best belts.
    Last edited by OZ-USF-UFGator; 07-24-2014 at 01:15 PM.

I never had to "work" my Best Belt at all. Is this your first time wearing a belt of any kind? How tightly are you trying to cinch it?

I have the 4" / 13mm EliteFTS single prong belt and I had to wash it in the laundry on HOT to break it in. It still bruises my hips and ribs a little from time to time.

Best Belts belts are supposed to be pre-broken in. I have the 4 inch "Athlete" from Best Belts. It's a nice belt, and was soft when I got it. I felt it digging a little the first couple of days, but it got better, and it definitely helped a lot.

That is until I broke a rib with it on the final rep of my 3rd set of squats the other day. You gotta be careful with these fuckers. I think I now understand why they make the tapered belts. They definitely don't provide as much functionality as a full belt, but at least they won't break your rib if you fuck up with your form when you're a noob like me.

I have a 13mm 4" double prong Best Belt, and I referred to this to break it in:

Worked like a charm. It only bruises my hips occasionally now.

My inzer took some breaking in. It was digging in like crazy and hurt so much. My bob's belt didn't seem to need the same breaking in though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    I never had to "work" my Best Belt at all. Is this your first time wearing a belt of any kind? How tightly are you trying to cinch it?
    Yes, first time using a belt. And I am attempting to use the belt per the instructions in SS, I tightened it to exactly the center hole, which feels snug until i take a breath, then it gets treally tight. I was wearing it too low at first. By the end, it was higher, but still hurt. The bet was pliable but still stiff out of the box, but the total of an hour or sokneeding it, twisting it and bending it on the squat rak made a very signifigant diference in the softness of the belt. Maybe I'm just not made for a belt. I have exceeded 400 pounds on deadlift without one thus far. I bought it mainly because as I get stronger, I don't want to impede progress due to not having a belt.
    Last edited by OZ-USF-UFGator; 07-24-2014 at 02:14 PM.

I'm shocked that so many of you can't figure out how to wear a belt. Sorry. Best Belts do break in further over time, but mine was plenty soft enough to use the day it came out of the box. And it's a 4" and I'm a short guy. Haven't broken a single rib.

Wearing a belt too tightly isn't a good idea at all. You should be able to fit a finger or two in pretty easily.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I'm shocked that so many of you can't figure out how to wear a belt. Sorry. Best Belts do break in further over time, but mine was plenty soft enough to use the day it came out of the box. And it's a 4" and I'm a short guy. Haven't broken a single rib.
    For me, having a lot of loose skin and "floating fat" from 50 lb of weight loss may have been part of the problem. The belt can end up moving even if it is snug because the whole gut can move up and down the torso.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast