starting strength gym

Thread: Boxing whilst lifting

Default Boxing whilst lifting

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I enjoy both lifting and boxing recreationally.
    Now I haven't boxed for a while but wanting to get back down there next week.
    Obviously doing both at once isn't ideal.

I'm looking to lean up over the next 6 weeks, I don't NEED to be strong for any type of events or sports in my life atm, however, losing strength and lean muscle obviously isn't a goal.

How detrimental would swapping lifting weights for boxing be ?

Also thinking of doing 5/3/1 whilst boxing (Maybe even just the core lifts) whilst trying to lean up as I can't see a 20-30 min session being too harsh on recovery and too taxing (I hope)

My biggest concern, being a former 280lb fat ass, is losing condition and being fat. Obviously by training I wont gain fat ( I think lol ) but would appreciate some guidance as there seems to be alot of knowledge on this forum!

Your post shows that you don't really understand the philosophy presented in Rippetoe's books. Ceasing to lift weights is, in a word, dumb. I recommend picking up a copy of Practical Programming 3rd edition and reading it. There's even a program for an MMA fighter presented in the book. Be sure to start at the beginning and read the whole thing, though.

I dont see how its possible to do both without this:

It would be very difficult to hold onto the bar correctly while wearing boxing gloves, much less actually box people.

Unless you are at a certain stage in prepping for a contest you need to be lifting even while training your boxing. You might cut lifting to 2 days per week if you are doing a lot of boxing.

The only time to cut lifting all together, in my opinion, would be leading up to a contest, maybe the last week or two.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 07-25-2014 at 11:18 AM.

I'll have a look out for PP 3rd ed.

Blandrick - if I wear wrist straps I can do the lifts with boxing gloves on mayyyynneee lol

So running 5/3/1 alongside would be a good idea ?
    Boxing is Monday/wednesday/Friday , Wednesday session normal being sparing

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd90 View Post
    I'll have a look out for PP 3rd ed.

Blandrick - if I wear wrist straps I can do the lifts with boxing gloves on mayyyynneee lol

So running 5/3/1 alongside would be a good idea ?
    Boxing is Monday/wednesday/Friday , Wednesday session normal being sparing
    5/3/1 has a lot of variations... I'm sure one of them will work. Does it have a 2 day per week template? I think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    5/3/1 has a lot of variations... I'm sure one of them will work. Does it have a 2 day per week template? I think it does.

I've just switched to a gym closer to home so would have time to train morning before work if I am quick and then evenings in boxing. Will have a full read of practical programming and 5/3/1

thanks

starting strength coach development program
    You might try the "I'm not doing Jack", or whatever it is (I read the ebook moons and moons ago).

Maybe you could do that 3 days per week, or still just 2.