starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check: 505x5

Default Squat Form Check: 505x5

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Video below is the first set of 505 3x5, linear progression +5lbs M/F, coming back from a deload to 405. I recently was forced to change gyms from one with mirrors on all walls to a powerlifting gym, whereupon I learned that all my personal cues were mirror-based. I've spent the past month attempting to re-learn how to properly squat in the SS style.

Any critical feedback would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pBhCsNrSNc

A very strong squat no doubt! 505 on linear is pretty f'ing amazing dude.

First two things I notice is that you start your squat with a knee wiggle, forward, back, forward. I don't know that i think it's a big deal, just an observation. Something you have no doubt been doing for years and do when getting set.

Your head is down between reps, and then pops up and stays there throughout the squat. I personally would like to see a little more hip drive, and I think that will come with getting your head in position.

I swear I watched the video 10+ times, sometimes I think a few of them are a little shallow, sometimes I think they are borderline, sometimes I think they are marginal. Tough to tell from video. They would pass an SPF meet, but you'd get 3 reds in the USAPL I think, at least from what I see in the video.

In the end, get your head in position and maintain that position throughout the rep, DRIVE your hips out of the hole and keep driving them.

I'm interested to hear what the other coaches say.

Video below is the first set of 505 3x5
    I was hoping you were going to be a 300 pound defensive tackle...so that I could feel okay about myself.

I do not feel okay about myself.

Good squatting.

ferrum, is the LP you mention part of a form reset? I thought you had a question on TM a while back in Andy's forum -- if so, curious what you eventually ended Novice LP with? Either way, great job!

Mac -- I squatted yesterday with my head down in neutral cervical spine, and it made a huge difference. Although it seemed to be a little more difficult, all of the reps were smoother, since I could stay in my hips without awkwardly shifting to me quads mid-ascent. I didn't realize it would make that big of a difference; thank you! (I also fixed the depth issue, which might have contributed to the difficulty.)
    Last edited by Mac Ward; 07-29-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJF View Post
    ferrum, is the LP you mention part of a form reset? I thought you had a question on TM a while back in Andy's forum -- if so, curious what you eventually ended Novice LP with? Either way, great job!
    Yep. Back in the day, I did SS linear to 345 (with many resets along the way) while gaining about 30lbs. Then TM up to around 445, at which point I asked Andy Baker for help, then TM up to 495, then Smolov (which peaked the squat but didn't give any lasting strength), then the Advanced Pyramid from PPST3 a few times.

With improved form, I'm now attempting to do linear into a TM-style program I wrote, to see whether it will work and be easier than the pyramid.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrum View Post
    Mac -- I squatted yesterday with my head down in neutral cervical spine, and it made a huge difference. Although it seemed to be a little more difficult, all of the reps were smoother, since I could stay in my hips without awkwardly shifting to me quads mid-ascent. I didn't realize it would make that big of a difference; thank you! (I also fixed the depth issue, which might have contributed to the difficulty.)
    Ferum - I hit a wrong button and unintentionally edited your post....apologies. I deleted your explanation of your training if you decide to repost. I thought I hit the "quote" button and and deleted everything but what I was responding to which is what is above.

Glad I could help. I imagine some of the perceived difficulty comes from unfmiliarity. Tougher to change, the longer we have been doing things.

starting strength coach development program
    G'dammit. That was something to watch.