starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check -- weakness and injury history

Default Squat Form Check -- weakness and injury history

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Ok this is my 3rd or 4th reboot of barbell training. Every time I usually end up with some kind of an injury. Last 2 times it was a knee injury that was pretty bad that I still don't feel my knees are stable to this day. I always knew I'm doing something wrong.

What I know is that I have some muscle imbalance that somehow I end up stressing my right knee. I also know that I tend to cave my left knee in. I reread the squat chapter of the book to get some more clues and I went ahead with my first workout reboot.

I think this workout was extremely valuable especially with the info from the book fresh in my mind. I tried to correct some of my past mistakes. A mirror, or in my case an iPad seems valuable to remind me to keep symmetrical load.

Here is the video below. Please let me know what problems I am making. Obviously the weight is pretty low because 1) I'm weak 2) I'm injured 3) I only care about form

I am 37 yo 6'1" and 210lb

http://youtu.be/gPFjJDchVxQ

The first thing that screams at me 12 seconds into the video is your footwear and flooring. No shoes and a soft squishy rug is not a good surface for producing force.

I don't see an asymmetry that needs your attention. I see a slightly too-wide stance that makes it a little tougher to keep your knees out. I see you dive bomb into the bottom instead of staying tight and controlling the weight. You certainly have the idea, I'll give you that, but we need a better video angle to tell you more. 45* from the rear is a good angle.