starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form and depth check

Default Squat form and depth check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Squat form check, very recently converted to low bar, and now am also converting to not looking in the mirror for depth, but when I do these they feel like am half repping, but this coming from ATG high bar so am told thats normal, unsure about depth.

The first 3 reps felt shallow, and the last two a bit deeper.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2F...VZCX05jX3EwWG8

Any feedback appreciated.

i also posted this in the technique forum by accident.

Tough to tell with the "above, looking down" camera angle, however I agree with you.

Need a proper pair of shoes.

Get your elbows up a little higher to get a little more tightness in your thoracic spine.

Hello, so is that acceptable depth or need a bit more, and tbh am trying to stay away from squat shoes or any other equipment at all. Plus never had any real issues with squatting barefoot. Ill keep the elbows up in mind. I'll get another video up tomorrow after my light day

Since you told me that you don't think it is deep enough, and I agreed, I suppose we can agree it was not - it would appear you want me to agree with you, vice give you my opinion.

I stated that you should get a proper pair of shoes, and you informed me that you don't want any equipment at all. Do as you wish.

You might consider air squatting naked- and truly do it "without any equipment at all". Perhaps take the barbell off the floor vice using a rack and ditch the safety bars while you are at it.

Good luck!

I just wasn't sure which you meant, I'll take it as shallow and work on it a bit more

If I air squatted naked am sure at this level I'd need a force to push against. But to an extent I like a minimalist approach to what I carry around, at the moment without a lifting belt and shoes I can just walk into any gym in shorts and a tshirt and lift unhindered. I can't ditch the safety bars, it'd mean dumping the bar off my back if I fail and that's just asking for a bent bar

Cheers for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post

You might consider air squatting naked- and truly do it "without any equipment at all". Perhaps take the barbell off the floor vice using a rack and ditch the safety bars while you are at it.

Good luck!
    or do the old lay on your back, put the barbell on your feet and leg press it, very little equipment involved

Light Day, am definitely going past parallel, unsure if am going to far though. Nobody to video for me today unfortunately