starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulders keep getting unretracted during bench. How can I fix this?

Default Shoulders keep getting unretracted during bench. How can I fix this?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So as the title states I keep having the issue of my shoulders getting unretracted during the bench especially as the weight gets heavier. They will stay in place for the first few reps but as the set goes on they will slowly start to unretract and my upper back will end up flat on the bench. Is there anything I can do about this or is it basically just a matter of squeezing them harder and working harder to consciously keep them retracted?

Quote Originally Posted by manis5 View Post
    squeezing them harder and working harder to consciously keep them retracted?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by manis5 View Post
    So as the title states I keep having the issue of my shoulders getting unretracted during the bench especially as the weight gets heavier. They will stay in place for the first few reps but as the set goes on they will slowly start to unretract and my upper back will end up flat on the bench. Is there anything I can do about this or is it basically just a matter of squeezing them harder and working harder to consciously keep them retracted?
    Stop letting them unretract?

Also ensure your bench is not shitty. By that I mean, if it is slippery vinyl or some shit, then get something sticky to put it on. I use my girlfriends yoga mat. Helps keep the shoulders stuck back.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Moye View Post
    Also ensure your bench is not shitty. By that I mean, if it is slippery vinyl or some shit, then get something sticky to put it on. I use my girlfriends yoga mat. Helps keep the shoulders stuck back.
    Ditto here on yoga mat. Works well.

Jsutt Guest

Kroc rows, barbell rows, and weighted pull-ups. Get a stronger upper back and the problem will fix itself.

Thanks for the replies. I was hesitant to even post this because the common sense answer seemed to be to just not let them get unretracted but I think the yoga mat idea might actually be the answer. I actually knew to do that already but I just forgot that it was even an option for some reason so I'm glad I posted. We have a forza bench at my gym but the pad is very slippery so I will try to remedy that with a yoga mat or something. Is this a common issue that a lot of you guys have as well? Also just out of curiosity, do benches in competition typically have some kind of non slip padding?

If you have a Forza bench then your gym probably provides chalk. Just chalk your upper back.

Also, when you feel your shoulders slipping, lock the bar out and reset your shoulders. Squeeze your shoulders in and your chest up.

OP - - I have to ask the obvious

1) How much do you weigh? And
    2) How much are you benching? What was your last work set?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsutt View Post
    Kroc rows, barbell rows, and weighted pull-ups. Get a stronger upper back and the problem will fix itself.
    This. I Had the same problem. I wasn't staying tight. Learn to squeeze your glutes and low back and do not get loose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast