• starting strength seminar december 2024
    48 yrs old
    5'10''
    200lbs

Dead 1RM 405
    Squat 5RM 330
    BP 1RM 195
    OHP 1RM 140

Completed SS, and been on 5/3/1 for a while now. Training, along with diet, has gotten my numbers a lot better. Blood lipids, Blood Pressure, etc all look very solid. Dropped 25lbs, while adding muscle as well.

I'm strength training because I want to be strong, but I also want to be healthy. I add conditioning 1-4 days a week and am watching my diet pretty closely (still drink alcohol a couple times a week, hit restaurants, etc.)

I'm familiar with Rip's point that strength allows one to be better at endurance activities, and I like Jordan's 20/140x7, but I'm competitive and want to be strong guy for a long long time.

What do people say, what is the best conditioning for maximizing Cardiovascular health and endurance?

Anything to do other than sled pulls, C2, sprints, etc? Should I increase duration of the Intense Intervals to 2-5 mins?

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by muntz View Post
    48 yrs old
    5'10''
    200lbs

Dead 1RM 405
    Squat 5RM 330
    BP 1RM 195
    OHP 1RM 140

Completed SS, and been on 5/3/1 for a while now. Training, along with diet, has gotten my numbers a lot better. Blood lipids, Blood Pressure, etc all look very solid. Dropped 25lbs, while adding muscle as well.

I'm strength training because I want to be strong, but I also want to be healthy. I add conditioning 1-4 days a week and am watching my diet pretty closely (still drink alcohol a couple times a week, hit restaurants, etc.)

I'm familiar with Rip's point that strength allows one to be better at endurance activities, and I like Jordan's 20/140x7, but I'm competitive and want to be strong guy for a long long time.

What do people say, what is the best conditioning for maximizing Cardiovascular health and endurance?

Anything to do other than sled pulls, C2, sprints, etc? Should I increase duration of the Intense Intervals to 2-5 mins?

Thoughts?
    If the duration of your high intensity intervals is 2 minutes, you aren't doing high intensity invervals.

Here's what to do for conditioning if you want to be strong and "fit":

http://startingstrength.com/articles...r_reynolds.pdf

Thanks Adam - I've read that and will read it again. A little tough to locate Prowlers in NYC, unfortunately.

What I guess I'm talking about is a strong, healthy heart and the ability to go all out on the ski slopes and not have to stop all the time.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    I've been a cyclist since I was a teenager, sometimes competitively. I've never intentionally done the Maffetone method, but some years ago I spent the most of the winter doing all my cycling with a heart-rate monitor and trying not to go above 65% of my maximum heart rate, which given my age at that time was pretty darn close to what the MAF 180 formula would have dictated. There were experienced cyclists who did lots of long rides in that mode and claimed that their average speeds steadily increased, so it apparently worked for them, but it sure didn't do anything for me. I just got slower and slower until I finally said to heck with it and went back to higher intensity training. But if MAF 180 works for someone, more power (literally) to them; in particular, I'm sure it would have the classic novice effect for anyone who hasn't already trained their long-distance aerobic power.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
    I've been a cyclist since I was a teenager, sometimes competitively. I've never intentionally done the Maffetone method, but some years ago I spent the most of the winter doing all my cycling with a heart-rate monitor and trying not to go above 65% of my maximum heart rate, which given my age at that time was pretty darn close to what the MAF 180 formula would have dictated. There were experienced cyclists who did lots of long rides in that mode and claimed that their average speeds steadily increased, so it apparently worked for them, but it sure didn't do anything for me. I just got slower and slower until I finally said to heck with it and went back to higher intensity training. But if MAF 180 works for someone, more power (literally) to them; in particular, I'm sure it would have the classic novice effect for anyone who hasn't already trained their long-distance aerobic power.

It helped me a LOT. If it doesn't help then there are some areas to check. It's possible the person is carbohydrate intolerant. I am in a VERY BIG way. Once I put myself on his 2 week low carb test diet it changed my life. My run times came down at the same low heart rate and my cycle speed went up. I also have a lot more energy and my allergy symptoms disappeared. I don't notice my allergies to tree pollen anymore as long as I stay low carb. Now that I am low carb my body burns fat for fuel rather than glucose and I can run for a couple hours with no need for food just fine.

Also I have noticed from others that with the MAF heart rate a single beat can mean a big difference. They are trying to shut down all channels of anaerobic until your aerobic engine is fully built which can take six months to a year depending on the person.