starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C-channel vs. square tubing

Default C-channel vs. square tubing

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Why is C-channel superior to square tubing for racks?

It allows the pins to fall at an angle, and it's heavier so it feels very stout under the load.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It allows the pins to fall at an angle, and it's heavier so it feels very stout under the load.
    I built my cage out of 1/4" wall 3" square tubing with the base and top out of 1/4" wall 2" x 4" rectangular tubing and it is a hell of a lot heavier than C channel. In all the gyms I've been in I've never seen a heavier, better built cage.

Why is having pins fall at an angle an advantage?

There are things you can do both inside and outside the rack with the pins if they are at an angle. Used your imagination. But WAIT... you can't because you have a tubing rack.

There are things you can do both inside and outside the rack with the pins if they are at an angle. Used your imagination. But WAIT... you can't because you have a tubing rack.
    There is one thing I can do with my tubing cage that you can't reasonably do with a C channel cage. Dips. I fabricated a dip/chinning bar that inserts into the two front posts at any height I desire.

I suppose you could extend the dip bar pins all the way through to the rear posts on a C channel cage, or thread the dip bar pin ends with a nut and tighten it on the single post, but both of those are complications. I'm not sure the C channel cage is heavy enough to withstand the additional leverage outside the cage without tilting over as well.

You've mentioned standing on angled pins for chinups but I can do that on level pins too. I guess I need more imagination to see the advantages of angled pins.

I do see the use of C channel as an easier to fabricate method of building a squat rack. Mine took me two days to build in a very well equipped fab shop whereas the C channel design is simpler.

The rack Johnny builds is designed for dips without an attachment. Set the pins at chest height, put 2 bars inside on the pins, shove them apart into the uprights, jump up into dip position.

Thanks.

I'm trying to get one your racks built in the UK. The cheapest quote so far is from a guy who says he can't powder coat it but will use black enamel instead. Any disadvantages? I like natural steel anyway - could I go for no coating instead?

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I built my cage out of 1/4" wall 3" square tubing with the base and top out of 1/4" wall 2" x 4" rectangular tubing and it is a hell of a lot heavier than C channel. In all the gyms I've been in I've never seen a heavier, better built cage.
    I think you might be confusing the light use Bar Channel for Structural Channel. The first is used in handrails and other light duty applications. Ordered from my supplier, a piece of three inch Structural come in three thicknesses: .170, .258, and .356 inches. The strength of even the thinnest is far beyond any possible load that could be generated in a squat rack.

The really issue is cost vs return and effort to build. The tubing is going to cost a lot more and the construction is going to take longer. I'll be ordering steel tomorrow and will ask for quotes between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Thanks.

I'm trying to get one your racks built in the UK. The cheapest quote so far is from a guy who says he can't powder coat it but will use black enamel instead. Any disadvantages? I like natural steel anyway - could I go for no coating instead?
    Just use clear acrylic. They look just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    I think you might be confusing the light use Bar Channel for Structural Channel. The first is used in handrails and other light duty applications. Ordered from my supplier, a piece of three inch Structural come in three thicknesses: .170, .258, and .356 inches. The strength of even the thinnest is far beyond any possible load that could be generated in a squat rack.
    Our racks are 4 x 1.5 C-Channel. Dunno the weight.

starting strength coach development program
    The rack Johnny builds is designed for dips without an attachment. Set the pins at chest height, put 2 bars inside on the pins, shove them apart into the uprights, jump up into dip position.
    There must not be much room between the front and rear uprights, otherwise those would be pretty wide dip bars. How do you do curls in there?

I think you might be confusing the light use Bar Channel for Structural Channel. The first is used in handrails and other light duty applications. Ordered from my supplier, a piece of three inch Structural come in three thicknesses: .170, .258, and .356 inches.
    I'm not confusing anything. Square tubing is heavier than the same size and wall C channel, almost double... However, steel is sold by the pound so C channel is almost half the price.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast