starting strength gym

Thread: Not a form check. Day off, or light day?

Default Not a form check. Day off, or light day?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have an issue I have been considering and thought I would ask for some input from those with experience.

A bit of information before I pose my question: Began strength training for the first time on 6/30/14 at age 42, 5'8" 157 lbs. Currently in my 13th week, age 43, 175 lbs. Doing a 5x5 with sets across, squatting every workout(M,W,F). Started with 70 lbs 5x5, yesterday was 240 5x5. Have not stalled or officially deloaded but deloaded twice around 130 lbs due to a pulled muscle from lack of warmup. 240 was very hard but not ready to stall(I think).

Here is my question. My right knee feels....not quite right. I don't know how to describe it accurately. There is no pain, it does not hurt when squatting or during recovery. It just does not feel normal. Almost causing me to walk funny. If I choose to take a Friday session off to allow for some extra recovery and get it feeling "normal", should I do a light session, or totally skip and allow a full five days off for recovery?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Got2squat View Post
    I have an issue I have been considering and thought I would ask for some input from those with experience.

A bit of information before I pose my question: Began strength training for the first time on 6/30/14 at age 42, 5'8" 157 lbs. Currently in my 13th week, age 43, 175 lbs. Doing a 5x5 with sets across, squatting every workout(M,W,F). Started with 70 lbs 5x5, yesterday was 240 5x5. Have not stalled or officially deloaded but deloaded twice around 130 lbs due to a pulled muscle from lack of warmup. 240 was very hard but not ready to stall(I think).

Here is my question. My right knee feels....not quite right. I don't know how to describe it accurately. There is no pain, it does not hurt when squatting or during recovery. It just does not feel normal. Almost causing me to walk funny. If I choose to take a Friday session off to allow for some extra recovery and get it feeling "normal", should I do a light session, or totally skip and allow a full five days off for recovery?

Thanks
    Why 5x5 and not 3x5? You don't need that volume 3x a week. Knee might stop hurting if you did a little less on it.

Take a light day on Friday if it's not feeling good when you go to the gym, and start 3x5 vice 5x5. Eat for recovery, it really does matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Why 5x5 and not 3x5? You don't need that volume 3x a week. Knee might stop hurting if you did a little less on it.
    He's running Stronglifts.

Take a light day on Friday if it's not feeling good when you go to the gym, and start 3x5 vice 5x5. Eat for recovery, it really does matter.
    Thanks Mac. Definitely eating for recovery, as I am up almost 20 lbs in 13 weeks. Maybe eating a bit too much? Doing 5x5 simply because that is the program I started and latched onto initially when I began strength training. If 3x5 would work better I am certainly not opposed to it. I just want to be careful not to flip flop constantly on the program.

Today, my knee feels fine by the way.

I think you will find 3x5 to be sufficient through the novice phase. More is not better, better is better. Particularly in the beginning.

starting strength coach development program
    I think you will find 3x5 to be sufficient through the novice phase. More is not better, better is better. Particularly in the beginning.
    Going to take that advice Mac, thanks again. I hit the weights Friday hoping that I would get in the groove after a good warm up. Warmed up to 215 x 1 on squats and felt totally wrecked(previous working weight 240 5x5). Decided to do five light sets. 135 x 5 and felt miserable. Decided to give legs a day off altogether for recovery.

Back felt totally wasted during squat warm ups so opted to not do BB rows. Started my first set of chins, got to 6 and my whole body was protesting, even though I can easily do 12-15 on my first set. Called it a day.

I plan to go back at it Monday, add my normal weight to the bar, and do 3x5.