starting strength gym

Thread: Knee Stability Issue

Default Knee Stability Issue

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I’ve been using correct form while squatting (as far as I can tell) since I picked up SS. However, after watching a bunch of the squat check videos on forums, I got paranoid that I wasn’t going low enough. Yesterday, I was hyper focused on making sure that I was squatting to depth with each rep. All of my warm up sets were fine, but I had a really weird experience for my last set. I was squatting 170lbs (I’ve successfully squatted 220lbs before during 1RM testing.), and every time I went down I felt my knee shift forward. There wasn’t any pain when it was happening, but it was an extremely disconcerting feeling. It almost felt like the joint was sliding front to back when I reached the bottom of the squat. I played around with my stance (wider and narrower) to try and get it to stop, but I was unsuccessful. Anyone out there have a clue what I might have been doing wrong to cause this? Is it a problem? Thanks!
    Last edited by Shea Frazier; 12-14-2019 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Frazier View Post
    I’ve been using correct form while squatting (as far as I can tell) since I picked up SS. However, after watching a bunch of the squat check videos on forums, I got paranoid that I wasn’t going low enough. Yesterday, I was hyper focused on making sure that I was squatting to depth with each rep. All of my warm up sets were fine, but I had a really weird experience for my last set. I was squatting 170lbs (I’ve successfully squatted 220lbs before during 1RM testing.), and every time I went down I felt my knee shift forward. There wasn’t any pain when it was happening, but it was an extremely disconcerting feeling. It almost felt like the joint was sliding front to back when I reached the bottom of the squat. I played around with my stance (wider and narrower) to try and get it to stop, but I was unsuccessful. Anyone out there have a clue what I might have been doing wrong to cause this? Is it a problem? Thanks!
    A video of your squat would be helpful. Off the top of my head, I’d say the most likely culprit is just knee slide, but if you had previous trauma, the knee can be unstable anteriorly with an ACL-deficient knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    A video of your squat would be helpful. Off the top of my head, I’d say the most likely culprit is just knee slide, but if you had previous trauma, the knee can be unstable anteriorly with an ACL-deficient knee.
    No prior knee trauma that I’m aware of. They snap, crackle, and pop every time I squat, but they’ve done that since I was in high school. If it happens again next time I squat, I’ll have my training partner film one of my sets.