starting strength gym

Thread: Trap Bar Deadlift?

Default Trap Bar Deadlift?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Is it okay to switch regular deadlifts for trap bar deadlifts? I've always felt awkward doing regular deadlifts but I feel better when using the trap bar.

I just prefer to do "normal" exercises, e.g.squats, rack squats, deadlifts, rack deadlifts, you know everything with a barbell. If you use your own equipment it is expensive to buy specialty bars, plus a simple barbell you can do really most anything you need.

Rip said over here: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/crossfit_total.htm they sounded like a good way to hurt your lower back. If they are mechanically similar to the squat, even more so in respect to a rack squat (starting at the bottom to eliminate the stretch reflex help) wouldn't it just be better to do a rack squat instead of dealing with a specialty bar and a less secure arm position? With the squat you have (or should) the back tight and the bar on the rear delts, and like Rip said over there, your arms aren't as stable.

I think it's similar mechanically to suitcase deadlifts, which are more agreeable for my injured lower back(can handle compression but not so much shear)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'm sorry, I was just lazy on that one. I wasn't thinking about the search button.