starting strength gym

Thread: Coach Rippetoe, what is going on?! Please help.

Default Coach Rippetoe, what is going on?! Please help.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    You haven't been answering some of my other questions, because you are busy and also probably because the stupid post I had a few weeks ago, but please help if you would on this one.

I am getting injured too much. 3-4 weeks ago when doing my heavy set of deadlifts I felt inguinal hernia-type pressure while doing the reps. The ache and minor pain went away by the next day. Haven't done anything but squats, pullups and back extensions since (until yesterday)

About a week ago I noticed the pressure and pain again. It has been doing that since, with it being a bit better for the past two days. I didn't even do anything in which I felt it hurt, it just randomly showed up on my off day. The next day I did heavy squats and had no pain at all, but a little bit doing back extensions.

Yesterday I started doing deadlifts and presses again at light weight ( light because the doctor couldn't get me in to see a general surgeon about the hernia for 2.5 weeks)

I said how I strained my back in the deadlift form video. It hurt pretty badly until about 6, but then my knees, thighs, and shins started aching and my legs started to feel tired as if I had not eaten in a long time; I had eaten 2 hours earlier. That went on for 30-60 minutes and is gone now. Am I just over-reacting? I wouldn't really think twice about it, but since I haven't been doing heavy leg work I don't know why they would do this. It seems aggressive to think the back thing is a spinal injury; surely isn't possible to have injured my spine doing 95 lb. deadlifts?!

You cleared my squat form and my press and deadlift form look correct to me so far. What is going on?! I have a lower back injury, a possible hernia if not "groin" strain, and a long-term shoulder injury that I am trying to fix with light presses. That is 3 different injuries all at the same time! A couple years ago when I was lifting I had ONE injury in a YEAR and was training just as hard.

Matt, I cannot help you with specific things like injuries at the level you need, because I am not there to make the types of judgements and decisions necessary to help you. I'd have to see your form on all your exercises from warm up to work sets. I'd have to be familiar with your diet, your rest habits, your genetics, your training history, and your ability to stick with a program. You seem to have several injuries that you cannot manage to get healed, but I suspect that you have not properly applied the rehab program, that you are quite prone to dwelling on minor problems, and that you're not very strong. The lower body symptoms you describe may be spinal, but that is a reach. But again, I don't know and I cannot know from here. Find an experienced lifter and ask him to help. That's about all I can tell you.