starting strength gym

Thread: weighted chins vs pullups

Default weighted chins vs pullups

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    for the lats. My lats seem to be always sore after benching. I'm wondering if chin ups hit the lats enough by themselves, as I'm starting to get better numbers with them, but they definately feel like an arm exercise - or should I do pull ups as well? I think pull ups would help from an athletic standpoint, I like to climb alot of shit.

From a muscle development standpoint, the only real difference between chins and pullups is that the elbow flexors are in a much better position to contribute in chins. Which is also why you're stronger in them.

All else constant, it seems to me that we should be using variants of a lift involving the most muscle mass through as much range of motion as possible. Which is also Rip's justification for low vs. high bar for his squat prescription.

Pullups are a good exercise, but I can speak from experience that pullups very easily go along for the ride if you build your chins numbers, so I'd concentrate on that, first.

Agreed. I tend to do weighted chins progressively as my main exercise, unweighted pullups for higher reps as assistance. I'm still progressing a little, albeit slowly.

Thanks for the justification. I know rips said before that chins just use more muscle mass, so why bother doing pull ups. I have a hard time getting my chin over the bar in a pull up anyways.. I'll just continue doing chins!

Quote Originally Posted by dsp View Post
    Thanks for the justification. I know rips said before that chins just use more muscle mass, so why bother doing pull ups. I have a hard time getting my chin over the bar in a pull up anyways.. I'll just continue doing chins!
    Bear in mind I'm not saying pullups are useless. Some people may think they feel more "natural." And, akin to the high vs. low bar debate, if you're doing either and adding weight over time in good form, you're still 99% of the way there.

starting strength coach development program
    Dont forget parallel grip either. I have foudn with weighted chins/pullups it feels the best with rotating handles, stops strain on wrists etc and improves ROM.