starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Power Snatch be a good sub if I cant rack the Clean?

Default Could Power Snatch be a good sub if I cant rack the Clean?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi
    I'm guilty of having done the Pendlay row instead of power clean for the 3 months I've been doing the program. This is because I had trouble getting the rack position and I found the PR as an alternative on stronglifts.com or wherever.

Anyway i've started feeling more shameful and wanting to learn the powerclean to do the proper program, but I still cant rack the weight. I suppose its a flexibility program and I've started doing the stretch excersise thats in the SS book (Btw if you know of any other stretch excersises I could do for this?).

But recently I started reading about this Power Snatch, and im wondering if maybe I should just try to learn this instead?

What's the pro's and con's?

You will learn the power clean way faster than the power snatch.

Also when you try to power clean did you start with just the bar? And do you use hook grip?

Problem is I can't rack it , so I've not learnt the rest yet either. As Rip said, start from top down.

If I try to have the elbows up in rack position as it is meant to be, then the bar has to go through my throat/head.

Widen your grip...

hey Pendlay had dome really good videos on how to learn the olympic lifts. This used to be the url, but its not anymore

http://www.californiastrength.com/olwete.html

Anyways go on there and search for it.

"If I try to have the elbows up in rack position as it is meant to be, then the bar has to go through my throat/head."

How much weight are you using and are you gripping the bar when you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    "If I try to have the elbows up in rack position as it is meant to be, then the bar has to go through my throat/head."

How much weight are you using and are you gripping the bar when you do this?
    I am, and just the bar at 45lbs. Havent dared load weights or really do the excersise until I can get a proper rack position, I imagine I'd end up crushing my windpipe :-P

Power sntaches are a good substitution. The clean and the snatch are quite similar to each other. Learning one helps with the other.

OP: Are you able to set-up in the front squat coming out of the rack? The bar pressing against your throat as you described above is normal for proper rack position as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Power sntaches are a good substitution. The clean and the snatch are quite similar to each other. Learning one helps with the other.
    Good advice as well.

starting strength coach development program
    Why don't you watch Rip's platform video on the power snatch, try it out, and then let us know how it went?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast