starting strength gym

Thread: HB Squats and SS

Default HB Squats and SS

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've switched to high bar squats on starting strength after LB started giving me too much trouble(pains etc.). I got up to 265 on LB with ease but when I switched to HB I dropped back to 225 and now have grinded to 250. I was thinking of switching my squats to advanced novice, I know this would be too soon on LB but does it seem reasonable with HB? I was also wondering if my deadlift might be interfering, is it possible at 325lbs?

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

PS: I'm 185lbs, food and sleep are good.

stonerider Guest

there is no "target number" for when to switch programming

when you have had to reset 2-3 times for actual stalls, not due to quality of recovery issues (meaning everything in life is in order), then no matter what the number is it's time to change things up

advanced novice is better than TM because you will make quicker gains

this is also assuming technique isn't limiting you

I think it's ok to switch to advanced novice at this point.

Rusi Guest

I've been there. My best low-bar was around 290x5 when I got serious hip problems and switched to high-bar. This is not much but it was 1.5 BW for me. When I switched to high-bar I started with around 70% of that and worked up to 85% - 240 in three weeks. My point is that your high-bar will always be less than your low-bar unless you are doing quarter squats. And I second the recommendation to switch to more advanced routine. Adding 10lbs to your squat every week is still pretty good progress.

Advanced novice it is, cheers!