starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Riddance SL5x5!

Default Good Riddance SL5x5!

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I made the decision to switch from StrongLifts 5x5 to Rippetoe's Starting Strength because the 5 sets across has massively drained me, especially now that I'm squatting over 200 pounds(CNS fatigue, not muscular, I can lift the weights fine, it's just far too mentally taxing and makes my performance at my internship plummet). I'm going on a trip with the other interns for a week, and gonna take that time to drink a crapload of milk, and not touch a single barbell. Then when I get back, I'm gonna deload and hit it with Rippetoe's program. One question, though.
    In SL5x5, they have you do Pendlay Rows instead of power cleans. I have a question about this, though. I really do love power cleans, even though in that past I'd only worked up to about 115 pounds. However, in my limited understanding as a novice, I feel that the rows work the lats better. If I have to leave the rows out of it, I'm 100% fine with that(and that's what I'm going to do if I don't receive feedback), however, I would like some work for the lats besides the chin/pull-ups. If anyone has any ideas for this, I would appreciate your input.

On the bright side, 5x5 will have build some wicked work capacity..

Deadlifts are pretty lat-intensive. As are chins and pullups. Why do you care so much about your lats?

stonerider Guest

1) if you alternate weighted chins/pull-ups with bodyweight, your lats will get worked plenty

2) if you don't want to do power cleans you can do pendlay rows instead

No, I want to do power cleans, I friggin love them and look forward to scaring all the frat-curlers when I do some impressive weight with PCs, it's just that there is an aspect of aesthetics in it, and big lats look cool. But thanks for the advice, guys.

stonerider Guest

your lats will be fine, then

unless you want bodybuilder lats

I noticed that very few people took their squat above 250 or so doing 5x5 each workout. My limit was 260.

Quote Originally Posted by stonerider View Post
    your lats will be fine, then

unless you want bodybuilder lats
    No, no one with any scrap of sanity left wants that much trouble fitting into clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    I noticed that very few people took their squat above 250 or so doing 5x5 each workout. My limit was 260.
    Mine is two plates. I'm gonna start SS with somewhere around 185/205 and build back up from there without the fatigue.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick777 View Post
    No, I want to do power cleans, I friggin love them and look forward to scaring all the frat-curlers when I do some impressive weight with PCs
    I can confirm that cleans do turn heads when the weight gets decent. Once I added a 25lb bumper along with the 45er on each side of the bar, I was surprised by how many people would just watch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast