starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing 1RMs

Default Testing 1RMs

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have my 1st PL meet approaching in May. I'm planning on running TM PL prep program in PP and it starts volume day at 70% of 1RM. However, I've never attempted a 1RM. Should I do my 1RM for each lift in separate sessions or do all 3 lifts in one session? What's a good weight to start at for 1RM attempts? Do I do multiple attempts and increase weight 5 lbs, 10lbs, 20 lbs....?

I would just do a reasonable weight for volume day, maybe 10-20% off the LP squats and then leave the singles training to ID. That is when you test out your 1rms. What are your current numbers? Since you haven't done singles yet, I wouldn't be increasing the weight too much from your 5x5 when first doing ID.
    Last edited by alphagamma; 02-07-2015 at 09:44 PM.

To clarify....
    The program as written has singles across prescribed on ID. I'm not looking to run 1RMs on ID.

The program as written has VD prescribed to start at 70% of a 1RM. I'm looking to test my 1RMs the week prior to starting the program so I know where to start VD.

^ we occassionally have to use %s to talk about prescribed loads, but it's really a ballpark suggestion (especially considering that - fresh off LP - a 1rm is a bit of a silly notion (you don't have a stable 1rm and you won't for quite a while). That said, you can certainly calculate an estimated 1rm based on your final LP worksets (divide the load you used by 87%). This will work fine for determining a starting weight for VD.

If you really want to test your 1rm, I would follow a PL meet protocol. 3 attempts at 1) squat, 2) bench, 3) DL. For 1st attempts on each lift, I'd use ~110% of the weight used for your final LP worksets (maybe 105% for DL). I'd jump up about 5% in load from each successful lift (ie if you get 400 on attempt 1, try 420 attempt 2; if good at 420, try 440ish for attempt 3).
    Last edited by John Hanley; 02-07-2015 at 10:16 PM.

Oops, sorry my mistake. Mgrilchest has a good plan then. Just do it on a Friday or something before your 1st volume day. I would do all in one session, though, to make the workout feel like a meet.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    ^ we occassionally have to use %s to talk about prescribed loads, but it's really a ballpark suggestion (especially considering that - fresh off LP - a 1rm is a bit of a silly notion (you don't have a stable 1rm and you won't for quite a while). That said, you can certainly calculate an estimated 1rm based on your final LP worksets (divide the load you used by 87%). This will work fine for determining a starting weight for VD.

If you really want to test your 1rm, I would follow a PL meet protocol. 3 attempts at 1) squat, 2) bench, 3) DL. For 1st attempts on each lift, I'd use ~110% of the weight used for your final LP worksets (maybe 105% for DL). I'd jump up about 5% in load from each successful lift (ie if you get 400 on attempt 1, try 420 attempt 2; if good at 420, try 440ish for attempt 3).
    Easy enough using a E1RM instead of an actual 1RM.

Another unrelated question, if you don't mind. I believe I'm nearing the end of LP and not sure what to do programming wise. The meet is 15 weeks out and the meet prep program is 12 weeks. Do I try to eek a little more out of LP with microlading and 1 top set with 2 backoffs for a few more weeks? Or should I transition to meet prep and run it a few weeks longer than written? I'm leaning towards continuing LP, but more experienced/knowledgable input would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by JTC_MN View Post
    Easy enough using a E1RM instead of an actual 1RM.

Another unrelated question, if you don't mind. I believe I'm nearing the end of LP and not sure what to do programming wise. The meet is 15 weeks out and the meet prep program is 12 weeks. Do I try to eek a little more out of LP with microlading and 1 top set with 2 backoffs for a few more weeks? Or should I transition to meet prep and run it a few weeks longer than written? I'm leaning towards continuing LP, but more experienced/knowledgable input would be appreciated.
    I'd do the LP with drop sets for as long as they work.

I'd hesitate to recommend ID singles so soon, unless you are a very, very big dude with a long history of making muscle (singles will help you learn to do singles...but they won't get you big).

I'd do the LP with drop sets for as long as they work.

I'd hesitate to recommend ID singles so soon, unless you are a very, very big dude with a long history of making muscle (singles will help you learn to do singles...but they won't get you big).
    The ID singles are based on the Texas Method Powerlifting program for meet prep in Practical Programming. I intend to run that program for prep to my 1st PL meet in May. I believe I would want to get good at 1s, amirite? All I'm looking to do is finish off the next 3 weeks before transitioning to the 12 week meet prep. Is it all clear as mud, now? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JTC_MN View Post
    The ID singles are based on the Texas Method Powerlifting program for meet prep in Practical Programming. I intend to run that program for prep to my 1st PL meet in May. I believe I would want to get good at 1s, amirite? All I'm looking to do is finish off the next 3 weeks before transitioning to the 12 week meet prep. Is it all clear as mud, now? :-)
    It's not important that you squat 385 at your first PL meet. It's important that you squat 500 pounds within 12-18 months. Optimize your near-term programming for that longer term goal.

starting strength coach development program
    It's not important that you squat 385 at your first PL meet. It's important that you squat 500 pounds within 12-18 months. Optimize your near-term programming for that longer term goal.
    Alright I'll submit I've been corrected. So a more optimal plan would be a straight up TM right up and possibly even after the meet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast