starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Free" advice at the gym

Default "Free" advice at the gym

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    It has happened twice now. My wife and I are at the Y doing our squats and a guy offers his advice for the "proper" or "better" way to squat - legs in a wider stance, back more vertical, look up when you come out of the bottom. And, these guys were former "power lifters" and trained with olympic lifters, or something. And, I guess we look like we could use the help cuz we're geezers.

First, I know what Rip says about husband and wife working out together - don't do it! I completely agree; however, much to my surprise, we've had no problems...yet. But, I digress.

Rip addresses this style of squat directly in SS/BBT3 on pages 15 and 16. It apparently is a style employed by power or olympic lifters because 1) it reinforces the "squat clean", and 2) those bros' use their wraps and suits, or something, that are more useful with this type of squat, or something.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Next time this occurs, if I have the time and energy, I may comeback with something like:

"Thanks, sonny, but my squat model engages more muscle and is better for strengthening the muscle groups that comprise the posterior chain. It balances the mechanical forces on the knees and engages the hamstrings more than your model. Since more muscle is recruited, heavier weights can be lifted. Thank you; now, run along and get back to your workout."

Admittedly, my wife and I have really become "snobs" about barbell training now.

I welcome your input and/or stories.

My only story is that I've been tempted atleast 2000 times to give out free advice in the gym, but have managed to keep it to myself every time so far. Only time I give advice is if someone asks for it, which seems to happen more and more as you get stronger and people see you moving weight around.

Well, there's a "personal trainer" at the gym I work out who gives absolutely everyone advice. He just walks around the big hall stopping EVERYONE and asking if he can give them advice on whatever exercise they're currently doing. It doesn't matter if its a squat or a tricep pushdown, he's got 2 pages full of advice for you. People absolutely hate him.

I think you are correct, for what that's worth.

Don't be a snob though, very likely the big guys at the gym do know a lot about training that you (and I) don't. They didn't get big entirely by accident.

The issue is that you don't need two coaches teaching opposing styles. Tell them "Thanks, but my coach says to do it this way for now". Bring the book to the gym and show them if they are interested.

When I was in my late 40s, a man approached me in the local Y while I was squatting, and basically told me I was squatting "all wrong". He too, thought I should be much more "upright" while squatting. Never mind that I was doing sets of 5 with about 330, weighing 198! I was polite, but then went back to my "normal" training.
    Another time around the same time period, a young serviceman (probably early 30s) approached me after I finished a heavy set of 5. He said, "Excuse me sir, but that was impressive!" I was pleasantly surprised (and satisfied) as I thanked him. It's all relative, isn't it?

Great idea, cwd, about having the book available.

I just found this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC5-g1Ugmgc

Well, I shoulda used the search function first. Tons of posts on this subject already.
    Last edited by MashedTaters; 02-17-2015 at 03:41 PM. Reason: I'm a dumbass

I tell then I'm doing squats that way to develop my posterior chain because it helps my deadlifts. When they ask why I deadlift I tell them I preparing for the GPC World Championship.

Actually at the gym where I train no one says anything. I'm one of the few people that squat, much less to depth and generally the oldest guy in the gym doing anything but machines, bench or cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by Malpeg View Post
    ...I'm...the oldest guy in the gym doing anything but machines, bench or cardio.
    Ha! Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by MashedTaters View Post
    Great idea, cwd, about having the book available.
    Gah, a lot of this training stuff reminds me of religious arguments. You have your book, I have mine. :-) What does the phrase "doing it right" even mean? Are your criteria the same as mine? What objective evidence do you have that your methodology will help me meet my goals better than the one that I'm following? Even if you are stronger than I am, it doesn't mean that your training was optimal, by whatever definition we can agree on. You might have been following a suboptimal program for much longer than I've been following mine. Or you might be younger or your genetics better. Or you're using steroids.

Personally, I wouldn't take anyone's advice at the gym unless I had no earthly idea about what I was doing. Nor would I offer any advice; most people have some reason why they're doing what they're doing and what objective evidence do I have that they're wrong? All I know is what is true for me and that may or may not have any applicability to someone else. Everything else that I think I know is hearsay.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Esres View Post
    Gah, a lot of this training stuff reminds me of religious arguments. You have your book, I have mine. :-) What does the phrase "doing it right" even mean? Are your criteria the same as mine? What objective evidence do you have that your methodology will help me meet my goals better than the one that I'm following? Even if you are stronger than I am, it doesn't mean that your training was optimal, by whatever definition we can agree on. You might have been following a suboptimal program for much longer than I've been following mine. Or you might be younger or your genetics better. Or you're using steroids.

Personally, I wouldn't take anyone's advice at the gym unless I had no earthly idea about what I was doing. Nor would I offer any advice; most people have some reason why they're doing what they're doing and what objective evidence do I have that they're wrong? All I know is what is true for me and that may or may not have any applicability to someone else. Everything else that I think I know is hearsay.
    excellent post - I couldn't agree more.

starting strength coach development program
    Sometimes it can work out ok. Once I was at a gym and a guy was trying to DL 3 plates or something double overhand. He almost had it and looked really disappointed. I said, you got this, just alternate your hands and it will go right up.
    Everyone left in a good mood.

Most of the time, though, I butt out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast