starting strength gym

Thread: Three (progressively improving) failures in press

Default Three (progressively improving) failures in press

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    34m 195lbs

Pressing 3 sets of 5, 125lbs. Started training in October 2010.

First session: 5,3, - (Did not attempt third set)
    Second session: 5, 4, - (Did not attempt third set)
    Today's, third session: 5, 5, 4

Do I repeat a fourth time (pretty sure I would make it next time) - or do something else? Also, when failing badly in a second set as in my first session, should I try for more sets or stop for the day?

I doubt that you could make it next time. I have on occasion given up on an session, did a set of 5, then 3 and got pissed off and went home. Sometimes you are just not in your groove.

Try it a 4th time. If it was me, after failing like that in a second set, i would take some weight off, say 10-15 lbs, and do 1-3 back off sets. At any rate, even if you miss reps on the 1st or 2nd set, you should still attempt the 3rd set if you have the time for it and aren't beating yourself up too much for missing the reps.
    Last edited by MikeC1; 01-22-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Because you wussed out on the third sets on your first and second tries I'd give it a 4th try. If you fail again, deload the 10% and work your way back up.

Quote Originally Posted by aprazma View Post
    34m 195lbs

Pressing 3 sets of 5, 125lbs. Started training in October 2010.

First session: 5,3, - (Did not attempt third set)
    Second session: 5, 4, - (Did not attempt third set)
    Today's, third session: 5, 5, 4

Do I repeat a fourth time (pretty sure I would make it next time) - or do something else? Also, when failing badly in a second set as in my first session, should I try for more sets or stop for the day?
    I don't think that it's an all or nothing kind of thing. Are you saying that if you you'd only done 4 reps on your first set, that you would have packed it in? I'd bet good money that if you would have grinded out your last sets, even for a deuce or triple, that you would have gotten your 5x3 today. Fight for every rep, man! Are you micro loading?

I'm just curious, are you doing 5# increases? Consider doing smaller increases.

Yes, I microload with 1.2 or 1.3 lb increments. Last completed weight was 123.7, but this was done 'at the limit' (completed 3 sets of 5, but with basically no strength to spare).

I'll make sure to proceed with all my sets and not 'wuss out', that seems to be a common recommendation.

Yes, I microload with 1.2 or 1.3 lb increments. Last completed weight was 123.7, but this was done 'at the limit' (completed 3 sets of 5, but with basically no strength to spare).

I'll make sure to proceed with all my sets and not 'wuss out', that seems to be a common recommendation.
    Good. The point of completing the remaining sets, even if they are done at a rep limit short of your goals, will still contribute to your overall adaptation process. It is very important to harden your will and to 'press on' under circumstances such as this. Good luck with your training!

-Hat

starting strength coach development program
    How much rest between sets? Consider increasing it.