starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not dropping power cleans

Default Not dropping power cleans

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    At what weight (if any) does NOT dropping a powerclean to the floor become a problem? I'm trying to smoothly get it from the top to the hanging position. I'm doing them with about 70kgs, and it's starting to hurt my shoulders. Might not be entirely due to this, but imperfect form otherwise. Although, question is: Suck it up or change gym so I can drop the weight to the floor?

I guess that would depend on the floor. But many decades of lifters lowered all their cleans and snatches.

Quote Originally Posted by Psixcr View Post
    At what weight (if any) does NOT dropping a powerclean to the floor become a problem? I'm trying to smoothly get it from the top to the hanging position. I'm doing them with about 70kgs, and it's starting to hurt my shoulders. Might not be entirely due to this, but imperfect form otherwise. Although, question is: Suck it up or change gym so I can drop the weight to the floor?
    C) Learn how to lower the bar correctly.

You didn't use your arms much to clean the bar up to your shoulders, so you shouldn't be using them much more when you lower the bar. The way you do it is much like doing a clean in reverse: Unwind your elbows and let the bar come off your shoulders. Control the bar path and speed with your arms as it descends. Then catch the bar on your thighs near your hips and squat down to absorb the impact. Practice with a dowel or an empty bar, and gradually increase the weight until you're comfortable using your work set weight.

Same thing goes for a push press or a jerk if you ever get around to them. Bend at the knees and hips to absorb the impact as the bar makes contact with the shoulders, don't just let the bar flop down on whatever bit of anatomy is most convenient. Doing so, as you've found out, is liable to cause injury.

Not likely that lowering my monstruos weights is the problem then. I will suck it up and work on my technique for lifting it.

On lowering the bar in Power Cleans,

I saw a guy at my gym doing Power cleans, and after the bar was racked on the shoulders he front squated the bar down to pins set in the rack. Seemed like a good way to do it if you don't have bumpers. Only problem is the time between reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Psixcr View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2Ymx...eature=related

Bill March (in the York Gym) does a pretty swell job of lowering clean and presses without issue...

But Bill March was strong. Very nice video.

That's one strong dude. On his lighter attempts, it looks like he uses his quads to absorb some of the impact from lowering the bar.

Why does Bill not finish his presses with his head threw his arms? Was it a different standard back in the day?

starting strength coach development program
    Bill can do them any way he wants to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast